Author Topic: Strawberry plantlets  (Read 2302 times)

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
Strawberry plantlets
« on: August 30, 2015, 20:05:35 »
I have decided to try to propagate the plantlets on my strawberry runners. I haven't tried this before, so forgive my ignorance but what do you do with the plants when they are rooted? Do you plant them in a bed or pots? Any thoughts  :wave:
Paul

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Strawberry plantlets
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 20:10:31 »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 18:31:52 »
Tee Gee- weeks27-29 for potting on runners- would this be later for later varieties?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 19:57:38 »
Although I have given the period 27-29 this is an average time when I secure runners from my June/July fruiting varieties.

With later varieties I would secure the runners as soon as they appear.

GRACELAND

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 16:00:33 »
i agree  as above  :icon_cheers:
i don't belive death is the end

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 21:52:40 »
I grow them on in pots, and plant them out when I've got a bed available.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 22:26:07 »
Just one more thing I usually wait until I have finished harvesting early varieties to reduce the risk of disturbing the rooting runners.

With later varieties this method is subject to when the runners appear so you may find that you have secured your runners before harvesting is complete so you have to be careful not to disturb them when harvesting.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2015, 12:47:06 »
I have two types that produced lovely large and delicious fruits, alice and ken muir, they are quite early. I have decided to make another strawberry bed and only need 10 plants, so I have secured 12 runners from the 10 existing plants. I prefer to keep  just the two varieties as they both freeze well and I have lots of picking to do with other berries. I like to get the strawberries done and dusted and have a few days rest. I will be looking to dig them out in about 3 weeks

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 13:34:51 »
Last year I tried something a bit different (I always like to try out something new)

What I did was I did not take autumn runners,I did not cut my plants back at the end of the season, insteadf I let them die back naturally.

In spring I spread some FB&B fertilser on the bed, forked it in with a hand fork.

As I progressed I lifted the self set rooted runners and replanted them and planted them in the first two rows of my bed.

1) to see how they performed.

2) To keep my new plants away from my older ones.

3) I filled any gaps.,

This seemed to work quite well and I found the new ones cropped as well as the older one, so this year I am going to do the same so that I can compare 1st & 2nd year plants along side older plants.

OK it is suggests that I am being a bit of an idler, and at my age perhaps so, but if it works then this can only be a good thing when I get older still!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal