Author Topic: Crittall steel greehouses.... how do you glaze them?  (Read 1916 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Crittall steel greehouses.... how do you glaze them?
« on: August 30, 2015, 16:40:14 »
I've obtained a stupidly cheap greenhouse (see previous post)... but now am a bit stuck as the glazing system isn't the usual W and Z clip type... so if anyone out there knows how you glaze a Crittall steel-frame please let me know.... I've got enough glass to do the roof and about 1 1/2 of the long sides... the other long side (the north) I will probably fill in with a sheet of 8x4 OSB board painted white on the inside on the northern side and if I get a few bits of twinwall clear polycarbonate I should be able to clad it up simlarly to the 20x10 at home which seems to provide an excellent environment for plants... teh frame cam e with some glazing clips that I simply don't understand how to fit and it's obvious tha tit used putty to mount, so I'll get some exterior silicone and use that once I've cleaned the glass up.... but how do you retain the glass on the putty?.... there's evidence of some sort of tape a bit like thin flashband but without the tar.... then the clipse would make more sense as spacers..... but it's a rum un and no mistake....

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
Re: Crittall steel greehouses.... how do you glaze them?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 20:18:32 »
OH is recommending low modulus glazing silicone with gaffa tape on the inside if that's what you want to use, but could you post a pic of the clips you have in case someone recognises them?
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
Re: Crittall steel greehouses.... how do you glaze them?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2015, 09:26:05 »
Have a look at this post which might shed some light for you

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,62428.msg641788.html#msg641788

Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal