Author Topic: Oregon Grape/Mahonia fruit  (Read 1404 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Oregon Grape/Mahonia fruit
« on: August 29, 2015, 15:05:09 »
I've found a decent stadn of these things... anyone got any recipes for them.... a friend of mine suggested gin as they're almost as sour as sloes...

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
Re: Oregon Grape/Mahonia fruit
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 00:03:48 »
Didn't even realise they were edible!   :wave:

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 10:47:29 »
They are definitely edible and I think they are very similar to barberries - as they say here: (https://wildernessguide.wordpress.com/2012/07/21/darwins-barberry-jelly/).

You actually don't need to cook barberries - the raw juice has so much pectin that it immediately turns into a jelly - a raw jam!

This is very good with meat & cheese - better than cranberry in my opinion.

Of course rubbing the ripe ones through a sieve is actually more work than boiling them, but the flavour is more interesting - apart from the novelty value and the kudos of an excellent product that cannot be sourced or purchased (outside rural France).

Cheers.
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2015, 16:01:34 »
Who said I was going to put any effort into sieving them.... I have a powersieve attachment for my Kenwood Chef, second most useful thing after the potato peeler :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal