Author Topic: Everything slow in the greenhouse?  (Read 2192 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
Everything slow in the greenhouse?
« on: August 28, 2015, 21:46:38 »
This year everything seems very slow in the greenhouse. Tomatoes only started ripening a couple of weeks ago. The peppers (various types chilli & sweet) are only just forming. I live in Brum and while temperatures this summer haven't been much to shout about we have had a reasonable amount of sun.
Whether this is connected with it I don't know but the pepper's upper leaves are tending to curl over although the plant looks OK. Never seen that before.
Anyone had a similar experience?
« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 21:50:30 by George the Pigman »

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
Re: Everything slow in the greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 08:19:17 »
I'm in Brum and also think this year has been a bit slow.  Tomaoes not too bad but 3 varieties of cuke in greenhouse non existant.  Likewise with all curcubits on lottie, lots of male flowers but no girlies coming out to play.  Runners only just beginning to form.  Hoping for an Indian summer - remember them?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 13:26:23 »
As I mentioned in a previous post I think it has just been an abnormal season where the temperature and light levels have not been consistent.

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,79447.msg803639.html#msg803639

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 12:02:47 »
Monty Don on Friday's Gardeners World was complaining about poor tomato crops and slow ripening which he attributes to some of the exceptionally low temperatures we have had this summer (particularly at night). He is in Shropshire. Curly pepper leaves apparently can be due (among other things) to abnormal night temperatures as well.
So that looks to be the answer!

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 20:11:09 »
Sunday is my feeding and checking the greenhouse day, and I have only been picking ripe tomatoes for a few weeks. One thing I have noticed is several plants have wilted because of stem rot, some of them quite low down. I'm thinking tomato moth may be to blame, I found one moth and several caterpillars and Ivthink they have damaged the stems and rot has set in. One caterpillar was crawling out of the top of a bamboo cane! I think I will have to make a mesh door/curtain for next year!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 20:24:17 »
This year for the first time something was eating the tomato leaves. Several leaves had lots of small holes in them. Never seen that before - usually my tomatoes are unaffected by bugs. Thought it was slugs or snails but slug pellets didn't stop it. The aubergines were similarly affected but not the peppers.

cestrian

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 20:12:21 »
I'm in Chester and this is one of the worst years in the green house for me for a long while. This time last year I was picking a dozen cucumbers a week off two plants and this year I've had one cucumber. Toms have been very late and I thought it was blight but just been advised it's botrytis. Not sure how to avoid this but I'm going to replace all the soil as soon as the season's over and completely sanitise the lot.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 21:07:37 »
Slow here too.... peppers been OK, Yacon looks good, but tomatoes have been rubbish, cucumbers patchy and the melons and and giganda beans barely worth the effort (there's a crop there but not a big one)... on the other hand, Lima beans have done well and my cinnamon vine has set berries, which I'd never heard of happening before.... will have to try and germinate some of those next year and spread the love around with some seed swaps too...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal