Author Topic: next years work just begun  (Read 2730 times)

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
next years work just begun
« on: August 27, 2015, 13:06:33 »
just startedthe first of 4 bean trenches for nextyear come around quick eh
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: next years work just begun
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 14:46:08 »
I was nearly tempted to start some winter digging but decided against it simply because by Xmas it could be knee high in weeds and I would possibly have to do it again before planting out time.

So I will be more patient and wait till the end of October ( my normal time) or there a bouts!

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 15:14:54 »
Hi Johnny,

I can see sweetcorn stems lying next to your trench do you put the stems into the trench or just the leaves?

Duke
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 16:13:16 »
yes duke iput the lot in this is why i do it early as it gives the stems time to rot down before planting :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 20:53:08 »
Next year has started for me.... somehow I seem to have bought 120 packets of seeds from Wyevale..... only thing I couldn't find was theh dwarf French Bean Speedie...

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 21:06:58 »
Well I have just looked at the picture and I can see that your ground is lacking in a couple of things.

I think I can help you out.  It will take a few quid but could be easily put right.

I have been retaining these to help someone out.

So if you are interested just get back to me,

Oh! the couple of things are stones and clay.

You lucky person you.

regards

Bill

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2015, 22:00:08 »
Well I have just looked at the picture and I can see that your ground is lacking in a couple of things.

I think I can help you out.  It will take a few quid but could be easily put right.

I have been retaining these to help someone out.

So if you are interested just get back to me,

Oh! the couple of things are stones and clay.
indeed bill thanks for the offer however this time ill think ill pass destoning and mulching the last 5 years seem to be paying off lets hope i dont move lol
You lucky person you.

regards

Bill

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2015, 07:46:30 »
I'm sort of getting ready for next year. Down in Soggy Bottom it will be impossible to work in the winter. So all being prepared now with a deep dig right through, then raised beds built and over filled with well rotted. as each crop finishes I move up the plot with another raised bed, until I reach the drier area. The soft fruit area has been well weeded and mulched with spent hops, just the strawberry patch to be sorted, once enough runners have rooted. Up on the top plot it can wait until the right time as I will only have to do it again if done too early.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2015, 07:53:17 »
I still don't have an inch of space left, not a bit of spare earth.  Maybe when the rest of the main crop spuds come out Ill have somewhere to pile next years manure on but next year can wait for a while - at least till I come back from hols after the 1st week of October..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2015, 11:18:30 »
I still don't have an inch of space left, not a bit of spare earth.

You're not alone there. I am struggling to find space to put the last sowings of beetroot, turnips and kohlrabi

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2015, 14:21:57 »
I have started next years work, did the planting plan today and have also sown a bed of mustard today, will chop and cover as soon as I can. That will be the 4th bed covered and ready. Got to pace myself as am no spring chicken and now single. Weeds are going ballistic in this weather, clearing as much as I can for autumn is going to be hard enough. Bed is covered and ready for winter shallots and garlic and they will be in during late october, maybe then I can start hibernating

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal