Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 18588 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2015, 12:58:56 »
I have been wading through the articles on this page;

http://articles.informer.com/tag/windows-10/

I am finding it has some interesting (if some times confusing) reading.

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2015, 20:29:55 »
I replaced Windows 8.1 with Windows 10 about 3 weeks ago on my desktop PC and all went well.   I was expecting some really big problems but only took just over an hour and have had no problems since.   It does seem a lot faster starting and updates are installed automatically.   I was so impressed I decided to ask for the upgrade for my laptop which had Windows 7.   I could go and make a cup of tea and a sandwich before it loaded.   The download for that came through earlier in the week and took most of one evening and took about an hour the following day before it was ready.   It took about a couple of hours and was then done.   I restarted the laptop and was amazed how quickly it loaded Windows 10 in comparison with Windows 7.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #22 on: September 08, 2015, 10:07:44 »
All was going fine until i went to use headphones to listen to something. Sound from the inbuilt speakers work fine but once i plug in headphones or external speakers into the audio out jack the sound cuts out. Cant seem to find and way of reactivating it throught the sound settings.

Next i discovered neither the screensaver function or the power saving functions (turning off the screen when PC is idle, automatic sleep mode etc) would work under 10. Always worked fine with 7. Not a massive problem as i can manualy shut the screen off or put the PC into sleep mode but if you forget to do it it will mean everything stays on, wasting power and probably working components longer and harder than they need to.

Whilst trying to sort out these problems i discovered a bigger problem. Windows Update will not work. Since i upgraded some updates to 10 had been released but instead of automaticaly downloading and installing like 7 does, these updates needed downloading and installing manual. Fine, except i cant even do that! Installation of updats fails each time i try.

Not being able to update is a big problem, it not only means the software cant keep up to date like Microsoft promise, but with a new OS, fixes to glitches and bugs arent accessible. Worse, a PC will become vunerable to security threats as the inbuilt secutity application (Windows Defender) wont get updated either.

I am frustrated. I like Windows 10 but the above problems are significant and need solving before i caan fully commit to it, or recomend it to family members etc.

If anyone else has encountered these problems and has any insight into solving them i would be keen to find out more.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2015, 10:31:20 »
Try the link I posted on page 1 to a forum where people are swapping solutions to 10 problems.
Obxx - Vendée France

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2015, 10:36:11 »
Well, I've tried to upgrade to windows 10 quite a few times now and keep getting an error which prevents it installing fully. I've since been having problems getting into my email account, but after much swearing, some blank screens, a few restores etc all seems to be back to how it was, pretty much. So looks like I won't be upgrading to Windows 10 anytime soon unless they fix the problem.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 10:56:47 »
Is it my imagination or is MS secretly uploading updates to W7 to cater for W10?

Over the last few days I have had in excess of thirty updates.

Plus my PC seems to behaving rather erratically after each set of updates.

As I say it might be my imagination or else my PC is slowing down like me as we age!

Anyone else having anything similar happening to them?

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2015, 11:52:21 »
Yes we also had a massive spurt of updates of Windows 7 over the last few days.  And (although whether this is in any way related, I could not say), yesterday morning I had great problems getting connected.  Some sites (including US sites) worked and others (including  .co.uk sites) did not.  OH had exactly the same on his machine.  Half an hour later all was back to normal.  Very unusual and for once, I don't think our router was to blame. 

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2015, 09:21:59 »
Updates are part of the usual process and I don't think there is anything secret about them as you can check your PC to see exactly what has been installed - you can even choose not to install them if you so wish. 
What you are probably seeing is that Windows 7 has been downloading Windows 10 updates.  If you have clicked on the Windows 10 update icon in the system tray then at some point your system will download the setup files.  MS have been releasing updates for issues that have been found in Windows 10.  However most of the updates over the last few days have been aimed at the usual targets - Windows 7, Office 2013, IE, Defender etc.

galina - if you both couldn't get to a bunch of .co.uk sites the that sounds like a dns issue at your ISP to me.

Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2015, 10:55:24 »
Thankyou B Nick for your explanations.  Makes sense.

No - me coward! - have not yet pressed on any Windows 10 buttons, although the blue pane does pop up regularly tempting me. 

DIL's Dad downloaded it and is struggling with it, but at least it seems to work on his laptop, others report getting error messages and can't even get this far.  Maybe it is wise to leave it to the experts for a bit.   :wave:

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2015, 11:24:53 »
Thanks Nick

This sort of confirms my suspicions that the updates were more about W10 than say my W7

This article makes interesting reading:

http://articles.informer.com/is-upgrading-to-windows-10-worthwhile-from-your-perspective.html

Particularly the bit about our equipment where it asks if it is powerful enough.

What has been going through my mind prior to reading this article was;

Do I need it?

Should I wait another nine or ten months?

My PC is getting a bit outdated and may need replacing meaning that a new one would be compatible and contain W10.

I think I will hang fire particularly when I know what some of you guys have gone through, plus due to the experience I have had with recent  updates and seen how they have affected my PC, it seems to suggest that my PC is not up to the job of carrying W10

Add to that my motto :

If it is not broke don't fix it

So yes I am going to wait awhile.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2015, 12:50:31 »
Yeah - Its just an operating system, not a life changing experience.  As a rule of thumb I mostly give it at least a few months before updating to a new OS.  There are always issues that need sorting and although I am willing it give even betas a go on a test or virtual box I would leave it alone on my main PC.   

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2016, 22:30:09 »
My new laptop comes with an option to update to Windows 10...should I do it .

I must admit I don't like change and when choosing this laptop the main thing was that it wasn't touchscreen, it isn't so I am nervous to rock the boat, I am OK with it so far apart form the key thing mentioned in a another posting

Advice would be appreciated.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2016, 08:59:47 »
Well Windows 10 is a little different to Windows 7 so if you don't like change then don't bother with it.  However sooner or later you will have to update if you want to be secure but that isn't for several years yet.  At the moment there is no overwhelming reason to update if you are happy with what you have..

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2016, 16:46:08 »
Trouble is Microsoft are pushing very hard to get people to upgrade. The 12 month limit on free upgrades is just one 'incentive' along with changing the upgrade from 'optional' to 'recommended' whereby it will automatically download (but not install) with other windows updates (that you 'must' have). Pushy popups to update once downloaded are another trick. My dad got caught by this and ended up upgrading by mistake the other day because he was trying to get rid of the popup.

I am also convinced Windows 7 updates, both type and frequency are also trying to push us into upgrading, if only by cluttering up our operating systems so much we get fed up with 7 and move up to 10 to 'make our machines better'!

I have also read about other things Microsoft are doing that may or may not make people upgrade. IE is soon having support withdrawn and so wont stay as secure - they want us to upgrade to get Edge and Defender perhaps? Rubbish i say, who uses IE anyway? Just switch to Chrome or Firefox instead to stay secure.

I have also read that the next generation of processors for Windows machines will be programmed to only run with 10 rather than any recent Windows. That means when upgrading a PC there will be no choice but to use 10 unlike now when there is choice/flexibility.

personally i am still not sure about upgrading. Possibly my PC will work better with it but in other ways i could end up worse off for doing so, and i don't like being bullied by anyone!

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #34 on: March 20, 2016, 19:31:55 »
I have decided not to bother.. there seems no point right now, if I am still around down the road I can decide then LOl so I am sticking with what I nearly know LOL Thank you for the help

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal