Author Topic: another wet day  (Read 3945 times)

ACE

• Hectare
another wet day
« on: August 25, 2015, 13:37:11 »
Come on now, enough is enough. The plot will soon be unworkable and I have tons of manure to fill up the raised beds so I can work in the winter. The spuds will be starting to rot in the ground if it don't dry out soon. Will need a very dry September/October now to get things ready for the winter planting. Planned other things last weekend because of the weather that did not materialise, I was hoping to catch up this week. More than likely I will be wasted myself next weekend as we have a few musical sessions to attend over the bank holiday.

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: another wet day
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 14:50:53 »
Just another day of leisure Ace.

Pickled my shallots this morning, they were salted overnight.  Just enough for ourselves and a couple of jars for the family.

Have some of the allotment covered with green manures, so i need the rain.

Bill

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 15:57:11 »
Ace, can you please send a few days-worth up to the East Midlands. We've only had a few very light showers and they haven't done a thing. Allotment is bone-dry.
(Please don't send them this weekend as I've got chutney stalls Sat, Sun and Monday!!)
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 17:09:35 »
Thank-you Ace, for the prompt action. 15mins after I posted that request it started to rain; proper rain as well!!
Every pickle helps!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 19:36:31 »
Very strange, it's dried up a treat here. I just told it to eff off and it worked. Glad it went somewhere it was needed.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 20:40:01 »
Just shows how things vary, up until 2 days ago we were desperate for rain, when I dug my early and second early spuds they were so dry I bagged them as I dug. We did have a LOT of rain yesterday , floods through the town :drunken_smilie:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 08:56:11 »
And very windy and dark too  :BangHead:  a bit depressing - there is plenty of time in November for this sort of weather!

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 09:07:47 »
Been raining almost non stop for a week here and still going, BBC website forecast shows no sign of a letup anytime soon.  Autumn raspberries rotting on the bushes and flower beds full of limp soggy blooms - Give me Sunshine!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 10:19:39 »
Pretty much the same as Redalder here, a very wet past week, days and nights when it just doesn't seem to stop at all!
This morning was heavy rain showers when I was walking the dog and letting the chooks out  :BangHead: But a slight break at the moment, patchy blue sky and a hint of sunshine on and off. Grounds too wet to do anything though and if you blink it'll likely be raining again.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 11:15:27 »
It woke me up this morning, sounded like a train roaring through. Being by the coast we get the edge of the squalls that rip along the solent. This one must have lost its way, d**n thing has shaken all the ripe apples off the tree, so crumble tonight, if I the grandson can dodge the showers and pick them all up. Well he has to get some fresh air and also earn his keep.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 11:26:20 »
The last three days it's been hissing it down here
And again a few hours this morning and now the Sun's out and it's proper brightened up.   :sunny:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2015, 12:48:48 »
Likewise Kev. stair rods for 3 days. I went this morning to see the state of play and it was surprisingly workable and dryish.  Even down in soggy bottom where I am building raised beds it was just like there had been a just a  shower.  I suppose the water table is still a long way down after all the dry weather we've had.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 18:56:39 »
Thanks Ace, the rain you sent here was spot on! Went down the plot today and did some test digs.. moisture down to at least 30cm
A dry weekend would be nice now
Every pickle helps!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 19:34:33 »
I got soaked yesterday in lovely Enfield town, had to shelter in the bank.  Was going to the allotment but decided against it.  Today picked some beans and raspberries and tomatoes doing well. Met a nice young man on the bus and directed him to B&Q, heaven help him as my directions are rubbish, and both him and me were confused. Not my fault he got on the wrong bus, 192, took me home but he would have ended up in Edmonton. (Info for Kev).  We did have a good chat about my allotment and toms, hope he is not still lost on the A10. Told him we needed the rain or we would all be dead, without water, don't think that helped as he was dripping wet, but he was a very polite nice young man.  I even got offered a seat, must be looking old, but was so wet and dripping that I stood up.  :wave:

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 16:17:23 »
The blind leading the blind B, I bet he got home and said to his Mum, you know you told me as a kid never to speak to strange old biddies on the bus, well Mum I've let you and Dad down.   :wave:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal