Author Topic: Fried Plaice Roes  (Read 4624 times)

gazza1960

• Hectare
Fried Plaice Roes
« on: August 24, 2015, 11:31:39 »
...Soft Herring Roes were eaten in our household back in the 60,s ....NOW I often come across Roe for sale on fish counters

Every now and again we get a large Plaice that still has its Roe intact
so after filleting its worth keeping the Roe for a snack !!!!!

Deep frying or Tempura batter are other options but I like seasoned
flour and shallow quick fried...............

so we have our Roes,in some parts a delicacy,in others the Gulls get it....
.....me....well ill try anything the once and tried and enjoyed this.

a simple seasoned flour is all you need...............

4 to 5 mins shallow fried in Hot oil  !!!!!!!!!!!!

The hard fried shell broken open reveals the soft Roe.............

Simply served on a Bread Roll with seasoning and vinegar

Gazza
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 12:02:37 by gazza1960 »

peanuts

• Hectare
Re: Fried Plaice Roes
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 12:13:55 »
Interesting - my mum used to buy herrings regularly in the 50s and 60s, and get the fishmonger to squeeze the fish to see if it had hard or soft roe - I loved the hard roe.  Now, when in UK near a Waitrose I always order some soft herring roe f rom the fish counter ( did you know that they often have it in their freezer but for some reason don't put it out!).
A couple of years ago, only after living in France for 12 years, I noticed piles of cod and whiting hard roe on the fresh fish counter in Leclerc.  They always have it in season, Jan to April roughly, as they prepare and gut their own fish.  I buy it most weeks when it's there, as I love it so much! How could I have missed it for so long?

gazza1960

• Hectare
Re: Fried Plaice Roes
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 21:36:37 »
yes,its a proper Luv it or hate It food Peanuts I found this file in my recipes section from April when I had some large Plaice from Poole Harbour
so its a bit out of date really but its interesting to see what response you get.

I too had it fed to me in the 60,s by my Nan always fried in seasoned flour so ive always eaten it the same.

One thing in France is the liking for all seafood compared to us our fresh fish markets are amateurish when it comes to variety.

I often see the French  lorries queuing @ Keyhaven when the  boats arrive with tonnes of Cuttle fish all destined for the dining tables in French households.

Not knocking us Brits....we like what we like but our "adventurous" button just needs a little assistance on the quiet.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal