Author Topic: Woohoo.... cheap greenhouse for the plot....  (Read 2704 times)

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
Woohoo.... cheap greenhouse for the plot....
« on: August 22, 2015, 15:40:20 »
Just picked up an old steel framed 10x6 to replace the defunct polytunnel on the plot.... welded steel panel frame foro each side (they weigh a fair bit) missing a fair chunk of the glass (not bothered, would have been putting 4mm twinwall on the roof anyway), but it has all the clips and even full-length shelves for both the long sides and a pair of single-pane vents in the roof... I'll add my spare pair of louvres  left over from the big one at home and a double roof vent on an auto .... £5.51 on ebay  :icon_cheers:

An extra 60 square feet of glasshouse adds approximately a third to my covered space, so pretty good for stacking up more propagation in the spring to do an extra car boot or two, I'll be able to use it to grow extra plantings of marginal outdoors things like Oca, Yacon, lima and giganda beans as well as pushing some autumn and winter harvests of things like peas, fingerling carrots, baby beets, fennel etc.... sort of the reverse of the tender stuff, these will start off outdoors in modules and come in for planting out... maybe try some winter spuds...

Future plan is to move the rhubarb and stick another 6 feet of greenhouse on this to make a 16x6 which will open up the possibility of maybe a grapevine or an indoor apricot....

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: Woohoo.... cheap greenhouse for the plot....
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015, 09:23:28 »
A good find  :icon_cheers:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015, 18:09:14 »
I can easily understand your glee.   Well done.   Enjoy all the extra potting and pottering.
Obxx - Vendée France

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 09:48:57 »
Sounds like a good bargain even after the work to get it up and running. I've reglazed and sorted out my little lottie greenhouse in the last couple of weeks after using it for storage, so not sure what to do with it ATM.........because I still work full-time I can't get to the plot every day which limits what I can grow, I've tried various watering systems but nothing beats regular attention!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2015, 08:47:48 »
Two Wests and Elliot now do a ball-valve for watering trays.... I've got a very large water storage unit on the plot next to where the GH will be so I think I'll try and grow stuff in pots in controlled trays on one side and in the border soil on the other and rig a diverter so that in winter I can fill the 1000l tank from the greenhouse roof, and in summer it takes whatever falls on the roof and gives it to the border that has stuff in it..... if I can find an 8x6 to tack on the end of this one then it will be giving me an extra 50% area over my current 20x10 at home

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2015, 14:33:02 »
Wow that sounds like a lorra lorra glass, it will give you a lot of options to grow tender stuff. I'll have a look at that watering system you mentioned, I've tried the Big Dripper type bags before, but they are fiddly to get a consistent flow with and some plants get more water than others.....still better than nothing I guess.....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal