Author Topic: selling produce  (Read 5997 times)

ACE

• Hectare
selling produce
« on: August 17, 2015, 08:45:38 »
I've had a facebook message about a Bolton allotment having to shut up shop as somebody has complained. What do you all think about selling from an 'alloment shop'. I for one do not think they should sell as it is undermining the local green grocer who has to charge more because of their overheads. I am not talking about the occasional stall on an open day etc, but a full on shop.

Allotments to me are a hobby, to some others they are essential for their organic lifestyle, then there's the ones who really have to grow their own to be able to eat affordable proper food. Not that it is anyway cheaper than buying from the shop. I give my excess away to friends and family, which I suppose also affects somebodies profits, but it not for gain.

What are your views on it.

Wizpod.

• Not So New ...
Re: selling produce
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 10:22:44 »
I'm in agreement with you on this Ace.
We have a glut box on our site where people can put their extra produce for others to share which works well and is currently usually full of beans and courgettes / marrows.
Occasionally selling produce as you say at open days is fine but not as a regular thing.
Don't most sites / societies have ruling that produce that is surplus can be sold but not specifically grown to be sold ?
Otherwise some sites would just become market gardens ?

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 10:40:02 »
I give mine away, mainly courgettes if I can find anyone who wants them.  Have loads of cooking apples this year, so was thinking of putting a jar for the donkey charity next to them, if anyone wants to give, if not no problem.  Normally loads of runner beans, but this year hopeless, french beans OK.  When I had a good year, did get bottle of wine, bags of crisps and sweets, although I certainly did not give for that reason.  I've seen charity boxes in the country where boxes of fruit are left to help yourself which I think is quite a good idea, even if it is only a few pence all adds up.  :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 14:08:33 »
We always give away our surplus to family and friends.  Spread the love, we reckon.

The most welcome things seem to be eggs, closely followed by green beans and tomatoes.  And fruit is generally well-received, too.

But it doesn't always work.  When we first started allotmenteering, Mrs Melbourne12 took a lovely punnet of Mara des Bois strawberries in to school, washed them, and put them on the table at the staff meeting.  "They're a bit small" was the immediate response.  A few brave souls tried one, but wouldn't take a second.  So she took them in to her Year 3 class.  They too were reluctant to try them.  One little girl. more eloquent than the rest, expressed what they were all thinking.  "I don't want one! They've been grown in poo!"   :BangHead:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 14:45:37 »
The WI have always sold produce.  They now called themselves country markets and have to the most part been taken over by men. 

I used to put courgettes etc outside and people used to put something in return either a coin or something else.  Sometimes some plums would appear later or a packet of seeds.  But in the end I got nothing back so I stopped.   

They've been grown in poo!"
  Sounds as if they need a little education.

Unfortunately the food banks cannot cope with fresh produce. 

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 18:43:47 »
I am with you Ace.  Selling produce is a no no.

Ok for an allotment society on a fund raising day but not every day.

There are a few implications.  One tax may be payable both for profits and payment to any staff.

Trading standards would be interested and the landlord might think that s/he is charging too little for the plots

regards
Bill

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 13:39:35 »
We're collecting surplus for a charity. There are plenty around; foodbanks and groups which provide meals for homeless people.

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 19:59:16 »
  Under the Allotment acts you are not allowed to sell your produce. We have a surplus box where over produced veg are left. Also a few of us use the old barter system with local horse owners. other ways is leaving the produce at the local elderly sheltered accommodation.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 00:20:00 »
I don't think that's quite right Les. The Act states you can't trade or operate a business on the allotment site. Selling surplus is a grey area, especially it's given you're not selling it onsite.

As long as it is just surplus crops I wouldn't have a problem with it personally. I choose to give stuff away myself, but if someone wanted to sell a few courgettes etc I can't see the harm.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 08:27:09 »
The allotment shop at Bolton was at the allotment gates, not somebody getting rid of a few courgettes. I had such of glut of beans, courgettes and cucumbers, so I loaded the car boot and as I was meeting the Morris team last night I took them along for them. Everybody dived in and filled their boots, then I was asked 'how much do we owe you'.  Well as we dance and collect for charity, I said they are free but if you want to put a bit in the charity pot, go ahead. Every one a winner, me for not having to compost them, the dancers getting some healthy veg and the charity getting a few more pennies.

I should not grow so much really, but seeds are cheap and even though I might share some seedings with fellow plot holders I still like to see a full row growing across the plot, would not be an allotment without the nice rows of veg.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 10:35:20 »
The Allotment Act allows for plots to be rented to commercial market gardeners too. I take your point about selling at the gate, but I do think closing that shop was a shame.

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2015, 20:41:49 »
We just put our surplus beans etc. outside and they go.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 07:37:09 »
According to this article they were doing it to fund a toilet.

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/bolton/13610317.Fresh_fruit_and_veg_fans__lose_the_plot__as__complaint_forces_allotment_holders_to_shut_up_shop/

So it is even more ridiculous.  Surely the way round it is to give away the produce and ask for a donation instead.  If they set us as a charity Friends of the Bolton allotments, perhaps they could then gift aid it.   

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2015, 16:15:56 »
I do sell my surplus plants in the spring at car boots... normally two car boots will sell everything I have spare...... spare produce goes to neighbours or work and I give it away.... generally that is cucumbers and salad tomatoes, plus I can get unsurmountable gluts of raspberries occasionally.... there's a limit on how much jam I need....

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2015, 16:39:57 »
i give regularly  to a couple of rest homes any gluts go to the homes and any jams and plants i give to them for fund raising day etc
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal