Author Topic: Fennel  (Read 2839 times)

davee65uk

• Not So New ...
Fennel
« on: August 16, 2015, 16:03:08 »
I recently planted some fennel seeds which have sprouted to about 2 inches high. Can they be kept in a cold greenhouse over Winter or how about a window sill in my house ? I think it's a bit late to plant them out and would like to put them in next year.

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: Fennel
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 19:01:26 »
Not sure which method will work best.

I sowed the seeds direct in mid July (I was a bit late this year).  They are about 6 cm high and doing well outside.  It is also said that they do not like their roots disturbed.

I would attempt to put out just over half the plants and see what happens.  You may not get anything from either method but it is certainly worth a try.  If you keep them indoors then watch that they do not bolt, plenty of moisture and cool air to keep the temperature down.

Good luck

Bill

ed dibbles

• Hectare
  • somerset/dorset border. clay loam.
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 21:57:31 »
You don't say if the fennel is the herb or the Florence kind.

If it is the Florence you will not be able to overwinter it and it should be carefully transplanted into soil soon.(they grow quickly this time of year). Florence fennel is usually sowed direct in to the ground to minimize the risk of it bolting.

I found a very small bronze fennel seedling on the allotment last summer. I just plonked it in and it overwintered successfully. It is now 5ft tall and flowering nicely.  :happy7:

davee65uk

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 14:29:55 »
This is the aniseed smelling one. The seeds were taken from wild plants growing in NZ. They were growing outside there but the climate is much milder in the North Island than here. I have also seen them growing wild in Greece where the same applies.

I really want them to bolt so that I have seeds to grow properly next year; any advice on this?

It  also looks like I also have some NZ spinach growing, again taken from the same place. Again I just want to increase the seeds for next year. Any advice?

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 20:56:44 »
Doubtful if they will grow/flower/seed in what remains of this year. I think you could :
a)Plant some out and when frost threatens, cut them back and straw the root clump, hoping that we have a mild winter(bet we dont!)
b)Pot some up into a shelter (conservatory/greenhouse/poly tunnel) and dry them back to survival levels (as one might with geraniums)
c)Grow one or two as if houseplants, they could get 6-8ft tall !, until April then ease them back outside.
d)If they produce a root- like tuber, cut them back and keeping this indoors, trim and maintain with just enough fernlike foliage to know its still alive, until its safe to go out.
I have never needed to do any of this myself but from my (limited) experience of this plant, I think it could be worth a try. What else can you do? Please report back .I would be interested in any reaction to these suggestions from any member.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2015, 22:19:27 »
If it is herb fennel it should be fine. I have a herb fennel in my herb bed that has been there for 20 years. It has survived down to -12C and every year produces flowers and seeds that I collect for cooking. The hoverflys love it!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2015, 08:18:44 »
I have a clump of florence fennel.  Admittedly they are planted in one of the more sheltered spots in the garden, but we live in one of the colder inland areas with regular cold winters. I have never fleeced them or protected them.  They must have had temperatures of -10C yet resprout year after year.

As they are now a clump, we don't get the large 'bulbs', but the base of the young shoots is easily an inch across.  This fennel makes a nice addition to spring meals.  For example steamed, then wrapped in ham in a nice sauce or on its own.

I did not have them when we had the -16C winters of a few years ago.  So thanks for the warning that my clump may be hit if we get a harsh winter.  By the way (sidetracking here) why all this talk about expecting an early and severe winter?  Is it because of the El Nino cycle?

:wave:
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:23:57 by galina »

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 18:58:17 »
For the best 30 day forecast, and sometimes longer trends, you should  visit www.gavsweathervids.com
This will give a good guide as to what to plant/how to plan protection
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2015, 14:23:09 »
And I am glad I did.  The fennel should survive, but as the guy said, it's early days yet to be forecasting winter weather.   :wave:

davee65uk

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 19:42:23 »
I have found an old Italian allotmenteer nearby who grows them as a perennial so will plant most of them out.

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 21:11:53 »
There are technically two sorts of fennel, FLorence  (bulb) fennel is an annual/bienniel plant which will form a big bulb at the base if grown slightly later in the season, it will then bolt in the second year, if got going early it will bolt in the autumn of the first year....... bronze fennel on the other hand is perennial, flowering from the first year onwards... the foliage and seeds are useful as flavourings and the flowers are much loved by hoverflies in particular .... I've just planted out some second sowings of bulb fennel, whatever they've made by the start of november will end up in some big winter casserole things that I freeze.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal