Author Topic: What did you pick today  (Read 78594 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: What did you pick today
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2015, 22:25:43 »
We also had a first picking of kale, just the one type though - we had some caterpillar damage earlier, but they have put on so much growth since and we really wanted to eat some of the nice new leaves.  Squash for storing and also tomatoes.  Made tomato sauce - 6 jars, recipe said 7 - ah well.  So added one jar of dilly beans (pickled beans).  Two small hot peppers added to the sauce and now it is pretty hot. I only wanted to give it a bit of zing!  Certainly the peppers got very strong this year.   :wave:

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2015, 23:17:19 »
Raspberries, apples, pears, tomatoes (Crimson Crush, Pomodoro, Sungold) and chillies.

Tricia :wave:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2015, 13:44:38 »
Cauliflower, red cabbage, apples and some not so very sweet grapes.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2015, 14:45:54 »
swwetcorn  butternuts comice pears red winsor apples cobra apples  potatoes carrots swede first cape gooseberrys tomatoes and lettuce oh and runner beans and raspberries
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2015, 19:41:21 »
Just back from 10 days away so not sure what I expected when I got the plot.  However the toms still look free from blight bar a couple of plants - so I picked about 15 lbs of ripe toms and more again of unripe ones!  The late sweetcorn is also looking great so had a few of those, took home most of the Kuri squash, a couple of beetroot, celery, cabbage and some carrots.

Makes for an interesting super..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2015, 09:45:44 »
And a pound of chillies!  :blob7: :blob7:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2015, 14:18:21 »
carrots raspberries lettuce so more cobra apples some long horn peppers and some chillis and toms
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2015, 18:43:25 »
Runners and French beans, a white cabbage and a bag full of kale which we are dehydrating
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2015, 19:23:01 »
Last of my potatoes, some nice big Kestrels, and the rest of the 'Incredible' sweetcorn.......
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2015, 20:40:20 »
Yesterday, tried to sort out some good cooking apples to leave for allotment people to take, which they have been doing.  I hate waste.  Gave some courgettes to next door, some eating apples and some raspberries.  The raspberries seem to taste a bit sour, they were late this year, but the rain and sun lately as bought them on, have loads and loads in the freezer and loads of jam.  Picked two sweetcorn which was good when cooked but pale yellow, not like the supermarket ones.  I planted it late but seemed OK when cooked.  A few French beans, runner beans rubbish this year. Did some digging but disappointed that my friendly robin did not turn up for the worms.  Hope he is OK.  Tried to weed the strawberry bed, but the grass is everywhere and long roots.  Was the only person up there yesterday, not sure if we will be moving next year, so will really miss it if we do.  Sorry off topic again.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2015, 20:54:33 »
A bag of runners to give to colleagues at work

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2015, 23:18:25 »
A fair amount of saffron (small amount of swearing when the wind caught the tissue I was folding it into), probably the last aubergines, tomatoes, and picked half the squashes for ripening in the greenhouse for a bit.

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2015, 20:07:22 »
Dug up some spuds and picked a squash on the lottie
Picked Tommies in the back garden.   :happy7:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2015, 07:54:46 »
took the rest of my squash, took down the tomatoes and have a huge bag of under ripe fruit, dug up the last of the spuds, grabbed a sweed, some carrots and a parsnip for diner.  It was a lovely day for in London but feels very autumnal today..

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2015, 08:12:04 »
I thought I,d cleared away all the courgettes and cucumbers.......but no ....there lying on the ground was one more beautiful cucumber !   :blob7:
Trespassers will be composted !

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #55 on: October 19, 2015, 09:01:11 »
Starting to harvest kales now, they have put on so much growth that they will get through winter even though I am picking a bit now.  I had a caterpillar attack earlier, but the new growth of lush leaves has hidden any evidence of that.  The perennial kales are nearly as tall as I am.  As most of the leaves are fairly new they are tender and lovely to eat.

The second sowing of lettuce is coming into its own now, but will have to be cloched soon.  Together with cress and landcress and late tomatoes we are still eating lovely salads.  The rocket wasn't recovering from its fleabeetle attack as fast as I'd like, but we are now getting non-lacy leaves too, must be too cold for the beasties now.  This one normally comes through winter without cloche.

Picked the first celeriac.  Not huge, but the flavour is out of this world.  The celery has put on a lot of fresh growth with the recent damp weather.  I will plant a clump in the greenhouse over winter just as insurance, but in the last several years it has overwintered in the ground just fine.

There are still beans to harvest, but some of the bean plants have been touched by frost.  Not the beans, just the leaves.  I will be struggling to get a lot of seed for my HSL contribution, will have to fleece the whole wigwam and hope.  Unfortunately I had a late start this year.  Most of the other bean varieties have done well even so.  It is interesting which ones were touched by frost.  Because we often get late frosts in May and even early June, it seems the plants from my own seeds have acquired some resistance, or rather any that were particularly prone to frost damage, did not make it in the first place.  Frost must have been touch and go, but several new-to-me varieties have withered hanging leaves right next to leaves from other varieties which still look perfect.

Squash leaves have gone, apart from one that is surrounded by fast growing chickweed (chickweed is like green manure ?!)  Seems my weeding laziness has protected that squash plant, although I am not expecting much more growth.  Squash fruits have not been touched by frost.  I am taking them to cure in the conservatory.  Wish we'd get a bit of sun to help cure them.  The only one still growing is the tromboncino trained upright next to an active compost dalek.  Currently 5 little trombos are still growing lower down, nestled up to the dalek.    Won't grow to full size, but will keep us in 'courgettes' for a little white longer. 

:wave:

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2015, 15:07:42 »
Cleared the runner beans today and have a trug full of beans, some dried and others hardened, which we will use for beanburgers. Dug trench and filled it with manure so all ready for runner beans in 2016.
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

plotstoeat

• Acre
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2015, 21:35:38 »
Pink Fir Apple. I didn't plant them: they were in the courgette bed! Always make me chuckle! :happy7:

woodypecks

• Hectare
    • Daisy in the Garden
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2015, 09:14:05 »
This morning I have picked apples for a crumble ......I was going to pick some rhubarb ....but alas ..it has collapsed with these clear skies and cold nights . Lovely blue skies here again  today though   :sunny:
Trespassers will be composted !

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2015, 07:52:03 »
The last courgette, and runner beans. A purple cauli and some rocket.  :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal