Author Topic: What did you pick today  (Read 78580 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: What did you pick today
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2015, 10:45:02 »
Leeks and cauliflower to eat, potato berries to harvest for seeds.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2015, 13:26:22 »
After two weeks holiday, LOADS of beans, raspberries, some good carrots, kale, broccoli and good-sized courgettes. Too tired to tackle the weeds and couldn't get my strimmer started, so all that will have to wait!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #22 on: September 19, 2015, 16:40:32 »
More cooking apples, help, I need help.  Left loads at the allotment and some have gone to good homes, best go knocking on the neighbours doors and make a few pies.  Shame my pastry is such rubbish, but will have a go later.  :BangHead:  A few raspberries, but not as good as last year, and runner beans absolute rubbish.  Courgettes still coming.  Meant to do some weeding, digging, but talked to the fox and my friendly robin and anyone else on the allotment that wanted to chat, lovely sunny day.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #23 on: September 21, 2015, 10:11:08 »
I'm growing two types of sweetcorn this year, one lot (Swift) on deep manure, the other (Incredible) topdressed but with a protective plastic surround to keep the foxes off.
All the Swift were ready to be harvested yesterday, but the Incredible corn are still white inside the cobs, nowhere near ready! They were planted at the same time.

I'm going to keep them going for a bit longer to see if I can get them to ripen, but they are in the area I have planned for the overwintered alliums, so they will have to be removed in the next month at the latest.... :BangHead:
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2015, 12:46:07 »
I picked these;

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2015, 14:37:04 »
Beef tomatoes and some Big Jim chillies which are ripe for making chilli jam or cooking.

Curried fish tonight so I'll be picking some cavolo nero later to cook with cumin seeds and garlic and some beetroot to cook with toms and previously harvested red onions.
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2015, 10:55:40 »
Courgettes, runners, tomaotoes, chillies, aubergines,  rasps, blackberries, damsons and still getting some figs...  :toothy10:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2015, 17:03:17 »
a fork full of chartonney  red core
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2015, 08:14:55 »
Yesterday now but I found loads of surprise potatoes in my nursery bed.   I new there were some plants that must have come from a wee spud of two left behind from last year's harvest but they've produced a whole 15 x 12 x 10 box full of potatoes.   Had the ones that didn't fit in it for dinner last night.

Also collected and cleaned the pumpkins - very few this year as it's been so hot and dry here - picked damsons and started some jam and we have beetroot, cavolo nero and kale and radicchio still to crop and PSB ready to go out in a sunny spot.  Had to bin the broccoli though as it had all blown in the last few warm, sunny days.
Obxx - Vendée France

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #29 on: October 01, 2015, 11:58:30 »
Yesterday I picked Carolus potatoes and lots of cauliflowers!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2015, 16:34:29 »
Yesterday I picked Carolus potatoes and lots of cauliflowers!
cauliflowers they are my nemises in london no problem clay soil here clacton-on-sea sandy soil its really hard however today i picked chillis sweet peppers courgette butternut squash runner beans beetroot french bean sweetcorn oh and 2 types of lettuce and a bucket load of tomatoes
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2015, 19:54:58 »
Just a bowl of raspberries and a few green beans.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2015, 14:44:22 »
Took the dogs for a walk round the huge field behind me which has grown spuds this year after spotting last Friday that there were loads left lying around and bringing home what I could carry in my two hands.   They're probably Bintje's - classic Belgian spud for baking, chipping and mashing.    Had great mashed spuds with lamb stew on Saturday.   Now I have a sink full of large potatoes soaking in the sink to remove excess mud and then will store them in a large paper bag that used to hold bird seed.   

In my own garden I've picked the last of the radicchio for OH's salads this week and will bring in some toms later.   Cucs all finished now.  Cavolo Nero and Kale still there for harvesting and some beetroots ready too.  Might have to cloche the fennel and kohl rabi.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2015, 14:45:53 by Obbelix »
Obxx - Vendée France

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2015, 15:40:37 »
If you want to store potatoes the last thing you should do is wash them.
The ones in the field by us stink. They spray the field with something before harvesting and it makes the tubers unusable for anyone else.
Picked over 100 kilos of Catshead apples and ditto Ashmead's Kernel.
Heaven knows what we will do with them. No neighbours to give them to either.
Gardening is the great leveller.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2015, 18:30:46 »
I wondered about that Palustris but I needed to see which were wounded/bashed or green already.   They'll get a thorough frying and then be stored in paper.
Obxx - Vendée France

saddad

• Hectare
  • Derby, Derbyshire (Strange, but true!)
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2015, 22:51:10 »
A couple of aubergines and four figs, probably the last of both and a carrier bag of tomatoes as we are going away for a week...  :wave:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2015, 07:56:16 »
Yesterday, a bowl of strawberries, the first of the celeriac, carrots and a cauliflower.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2015, 11:34:39 »
Some ripe Incredible sweetcorn at last! :blob7:
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2015, 21:28:09 »
Potatoes, two types of Kale,couple of bell peppers, few hot Thai ones  and a lot of tomatoes. XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2015, 22:02:10 »
Three pumpkins.  A bit small this year but it has been a funny year for curcubits.  Will go down tomorrow and get the rest.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal