Author Topic: chickens not laying  (Read 4190 times)

bazzysbarn

• Half Acre
chickens not laying
« on: August 08, 2015, 22:43:44 »
we got 18 chickens about 3 weeks ago. some started laying straight away in a few days we was getting 8 to 12 now tjis last week we are getting 2 a day !!!!! anyone got any ideas why?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Re: chickens not laying
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 08:45:48 »
Sorry to read you are having problems that's quite a drop in eggs. There are several things that will put birds of lay, a few more details may help someone give you an idea what it might be.
How old are the birds and were they inoculated? Are they in an enclosed run or free to wander? Have they had a change of feed, water accidently spilt so they have gone short? Been kept in the dark for long periods? How's there face colour and combs? Any upset and fright?
Also anything unusually like sneezing, head shaking, discharge from the nostrils, poo changed, loosing feathers, eggs pale or misshapen?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 11:43:24 »
It also depends on the breed.  All of our rare breed chickens and bantams are beginning to prepare for their moult and the winter season.  By the end of August we don't expect many eggs, and by the end of September none at all.

Your chickens may also have brought the dreaded red mite with them (or they might be in the housing if it's second-hand).

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 22:38:49 »
Approx 6 weeks ago I got some POL pullets about 17 weeks that were laying within a week.  4-5 weeks ago they suddenly stopped and we have had no eggs since. 

They are healthy enough, plenty food & water, the old hens went within 2-3 weeks of the pullets arriving.  Hens all stopped laying the same time.  (Old and new hens all stopped laying the same day torrential rain hit and have never come back on).

Could something of startled them off lay so that  they never lay again?  New hens are now about 24 weeks. 
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

vjm63

• Quarter Acre
    • Living in Estia
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 18:51:09 »
My chickens started laying when they were 17 weeks as well - they are pretty much the same age as yours, kt.  I have found since that at least one has found out fresh raw egg is tasty  :BangHead: so have very rarely had four eggs from them. They do seem to eat all the eggshell as well - which is why it took me quite a few days to figure it out, when I actually came across a partially eaten shell.

I have tried mustard in eggshell with them - but they seem to like both Dijon and English mustard unfortunately! I am now trying rubber eggs and getting the eggs as soon as I can, which is having some success.  Thing is, these are our first chickens, so I am reluctant to cull any...

Anyway, sorry about the diversion - could this be a reason for the low egg production that you see, even if only in part?

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 21:34:50 »
  I have found since that at least one has found out fresh raw egg is tasty  ........ - could this be a reason for the low egg production that you see, even if only in part?
I have had egg eaters previously and did a cull after trying everything over 3-4 months.  Just never thought it would happen to POL.  Will give them another 2 weeks.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal