Author Topic: Results of the July Photo Competition .. AND THE WINNER IS ...  (Read 5758 times)

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
A big thank you to everyone who entered the competition with your amazing photos . As everyone commented it made voting a very hard choice.

AND THE WINNER IS ..

Peanuts with Picture 2

In Second place was Picture 6 from Barriedalenick

In Third place was Picture 7 from Silverleaf

In fourth place was Picture 3 from Poppy Mole

In equal fifth place were Picture 1 from Tee Gee and Picture 4 from Nora 42

And the last but not least picture was Picture 5 from Pumpkinlover

A BIG THANK YOU TO ALL THOSE WHO VOTED AS WELL
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Results of the July Photo Competition .. AND THE WINNER IS ...
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 17:41:59 »
What is the cow eating?  Are they mirabelles?

Lovely pics everyone thanks
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 17:54:00 by Digeroo »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 17:50:15 »
Well done Peanuts

I guess your picture had the ah! factor whereas I had the eek factor!

Am I imagining things but did  the subject change part ways through i.e. I seem to think that insects were asked for at first then it changed to wildlife pets etc later. ( I had my entry in early)

This is not sour grapes to tell you the truth I liked the content of the winning picture.

Thanks to the two people who voted for my picture.

I might have put this picture in when the subject changed;

But as they say....you are always wiser in hind sight.

Nora42

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 18:50:27 »
My picture of the Mullein moth caterpillars was actually taken by my daughter who was 8 at the time and obsessed by creepy crawlies.

I think all the picks were great and well done to Peanuts - what theme will you pick for the next comp.

Nora
Norf London

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 19:31:22 »

Subject - I was stumped when I read that it was "animals on the plot" or insects etc. I couldn't find anything that day, then I looked out of our kitchen window at the field adjoining, and saw our local cows helping themselves to OUR plums!! So I rushed out with the camera and took that shot. They were leaning heavily  over the fence and thankfully the farmer next door saw that, and moved them into the next field that evening.
I then asked if I could submit a photo of animals leaning over into our garden and Daveyboi assured me I could!  I never imagined cows eating plums.  There used to be horses next door and they loved the plums, but cows?  I thought they just ate grass.
They are a small not that sweet plum, not mirabelle though, which are much nicer with a better flavour.  They are useful for bottling, and for making jelly with blackberries which I've done this week.
I loved the caterpillar photo!

Quote from: Peanuts on July 14, 2015, 19:19:18
Couldn't really find much to photo at all . . . . . until this evening.  I'm hoping that animals on the plot can be taken slightly loosely - will leaning over the fence and eating from the plot count??!!

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 19:39:03 »
I'm thinking the theme for the next competition, which presumably is likely to be in the autumn, could be "Harvest" taken in the broadest sense possible. Does this seem a good idea?

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2015, 20:59:20 »
Well done Peanuts, I love the cow. :)

I'm afraid I was guilty of being a bit "artsy" with my butterfly, playing with a new macro lens. I got some shots where the whole of the front of the wings was showing but I loved the fact that there's just a hint of the colour peeking through.

Well done everyone!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2015, 23:33:35 »
I voted for the cow too, just gobsmacked that cows would eat plums.

The other 2 favourites were the pictures from Poppy Mole and Nora 42.

Congratulations to Peanuts for winning and to everybody for submitting super entries.   :wave:

peanuts

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 07:05:59 »
Well done everybody for such beautiful and interesting entries this time.  Trying to decide which to vote for was really difficult! It would be even better if we had more entries - that's why I thought it might be helpful to suggest now what the theme might be for the next one, presumably early autumn (although I don't want to rush the summer by!).  Gives plenty of time to keep an eye out for interesting subjects.
So harvest - harvest-time, anything you have harvested, harvest-time in the fields for farmers, grape harvesting, harvesting fish (some on Gazza!).  Is this wide enough? Is it likely to inspire?

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 08:51:22 »
Congratulations Peanuts :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: It was a great photo
I think that you have made a good choice for next time!

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2015, 11:32:14 »
I was undecided between the cow and the bird, choose the cow in the end as such an usual photo.  All of them brilliant.

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 17:07:07 »
I think your idea of giving us advance notice of the subject for the next competition is an excellent idea Peanuts and with any luck we might have a bigger number of pictures to choose from.
Even though if they are to the standard of this competition I dread the thought of having to choose just one  :BangHead:

Tee Gee I think where you got the insect idea from was when I was bumping the post I mentioned that someone had posted a picture of a bug in another topic and suggested they might enter it in the competition but from the beginning the subject was

I suggest a theme of animals on the plot
This can be wild life, birds, pests or pets.

I did also suggest slugs in another topic bump as well

I actually ended up voting for picture 7 from Silverleaf but it took me a long time to decide as I really liked the picture from Poppymole and dogs normally win me over. Having said that I must say all the others were excellent in their own right and as I received each entry I thought each one was a winner.

Thank you everyone who entered and also those who voted !!
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 17:13:01 »
congrats peanuts :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7: :blob7:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2015, 18:54:32 »
Tee Gee I think where you got the insect idea from was when I was bumping the post

Thanks for that Davey I must have had another of my  'ageing moments'

I liked Silverleaf,s butterfly best  plus the detail on the Buddlea (I think) is excellent.

That new camera has worked well, I must get in some practice with my photography as the standard is ever increasing.

Well done every one...Tg

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2015, 08:12:09 »
Congratulations Peanuts a stunning winning picture  :icon_cheers:

Super photos from everyone and have to agree it was hard to decide, but in the end one stole my heart, Poppy Moles lovely picture of the gorgeous dog. Just such a smiling loving face, I couldn't resist!
Loved the plum eating beastie, we've got cattle roaming around on the local common at the moment which can be a bit alarming when they line up along the garden fence. Loved the spider and the bee and the butterflies, the colour on the caterpillars is amazing and doesn't the robin have a soulful stare!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal