Author Topic: How best to use weeds and compost  (Read 2405 times)

thexman

• Not So New ...
How best to use weeds and compost
« on: August 02, 2015, 13:51:41 »
As you may be aware from other posts, I have a new allotment that is on heavy clay and on land that has never been worked before.

I have three distinct areas that I am currently clearing.

The first, and smallest, has lots of tough perennial weeds, the worst  of which is marestail. To eradicate these, I am using a - ah-hem - "compost activator", which kills the marestail beautifully, and also glyphosphate for the others. Because of the "compost activator", I won't be able to grow anything in the land for three months, but that is not a problem because the winter is not coming. However,  I do want to start digging this land and getting some organic material in there.

Will it be possible to use any of the weeds that I am killing to dig back into the soil - always assuming there is anything left of them - or would it be best to burn them?

I have also got a free supply of horse manure, although much of this is really fresh. I am reluctant to dig this in "as is", but can anybody give me an idea of the fastest way of breaking this down to a compost-grade material? Other people on site have dug it in as clumps and there it has remained all through the season. I need to break it down fast. So what is the best technique?

On the other part of the allotment, I have half under brambles. I am taking these out with a mattock and intend to burn them and then bag the ash to use later. Would it be a waste to dig this in before the winter as a way of breaking up the clay, or should I use it as potash in the spring?

The final third is cover in grass and other less harmful weeds. I am skimming this, placing the tops in compost bins and using ammonium sulphamate to break it down. How long will that take to achieve compost that I can use? I need it asap.

Once skimmed, I am covering the cleared land in black plastic to kill off the roots prior to opening it up for digging. How long will the back plastic need to be in place to do that?

Any advice gratefully received.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: How best to use weeds and compost
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2015, 16:09:58 »
That's a lot of questions Axman and I guess you will get a few opinions on how to do what you ask so here is my tuppence ha'porth!

Will it be possible to use any of the weeds that I am killing to dig back into the soil - always assuming there is anything left of them - or would it be best to burn them?

The problem here is not the weed itself but its seeds!  Have they gone to seed? Have they shed their seeds?

If it is the former then it is a case of burning them.

If it is the latter then you are too late, next years weeds are in place!

If composting them you want a compost heap that gets very warm to do this properly, so overall I would say burn them

I need to break it down fast. So what is the best technique?

Well I look it this way:

The experts will say leave it for around six months to rot down, then dig it in, which is fair comment but I ignore that I dig it in (fresh or not)  before the year end (usually Oct-Dec) .

Think of it this way I won't be planting out in that soil for at least six months  so whats the point of moving it twice? Its still getting the six months the experts say.

Let the worms chew it up/break it down then when you plant out the muck has absorbed plenty of moisture, and the worms will have created a a nice humus, and best of all is you are not rushing to get your muck in in spring when the weather and soil may not be  fit to work in!

bag the ash to use later. Would it be a waste to dig this in before the winter as a way of breaking up the clay, or should I use it as potash in the spring?

Yes it would be a waste because apart from the fact that it might leech away over the winter months,you may happen to plant plants that do not need potash straight away if at all, so yes save it until you need it!

The final third is cover in grass and other less harmful weeds.  How long will that take to achieve compost that I can use? I need it asap.

Why? I thought you had loads of horse muck?

and as you are going to have a bonfire on the go why not chuck these on it as well!

Once skimmed, I am covering the cleared land in black plastic to kill off the roots prior to opening it up for digging. How long will the back plastic need to be in place to do that?

Waste of time in my opinion!

As I see it you are keeping the soil relatively warm which is the ideal situation for them to continue growing.

After digging it you could consider laying the plasic over the dug area but not before.

There! I have given you my opinion...Tg

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2015, 18:19:44 »
What he said..........that's the short version! Are you wanting to plant anything soon to overwinter? Another option is to use cardboard over the weeds, put your fresh manure on top in a thick layer then cover that with black plastic overwinter. Next spring uncover and plant up.
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 21:06:01 »
I'd compost the lot and dig it in or use it as a mulch. Regardless of the compost, one of the biggest problems on a new allotment, assuming it's been empty for a bit, is masses of weed seeds coming up everywhere you disturb the soil. Mulching is a good way to deal with this, as not much can get through it.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal