Author Topic: Alert needed  (Read 3087 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Alert needed
« on: July 30, 2015, 17:20:26 »
When anybody next spots the kiwi fruit plants in the cheapie shops, flag it up. I want to grow one over my allotment shed. I do not go to the garden I used to work in that had tons of the fruit every year. So I will have to grow my own. Ain't going to pay garden centre prices for one, but  know they sometimes pop up in lidlyaldi shops. So give us a shout if you see them.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Alert needed
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 17:27:40 »
i shall keep them peeled and let you know ace
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 18:27:56 »
Cant you blag a cutting from one of your contacts.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2015, 18:35:57 »
I have tried twice with Kiwis.  First time it died in a month.  This year I put one in around April time and a bunch of leaves went brown and curled up.  The rest has hardly budged.  Sometimes I think I have no idea what I am doing - thought they were supposed to be indestructible!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 20:03:00 »
Some are half hardy, but there is one that will take 15% below. Not that I need that down here. Also you used to need male and female plants, but they now have self fertile varieties. I will try a few cuttings from the kiwi farm, but the cuttings  will have to 'fall into my pocket' as the owner is very protective.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 20:27:28 »
Have you looked at Amazon?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 20:54:40 »
Have you looked at Amazon?

Have you seen the Aldi advert. I like this one  £14.99, but I also like this one £2.99. Guess which one I like.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 06:33:19 »
Well, is there another way?
see http://foodiegardener.com/how-to-grow-kiwi-from-store-bought-kiwi-fruit/

Anybody succeeded?(no pun intended!)
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 08:11:21 »
I am a bit wary of that self grow article. Buy any packet of kiwi seeds and the first thing you have to do is stratify them for at least a month. Plus I bet that most fruits in the shop will be  hybrids and the seed will revert to type or even be barren.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 15:58:40 »
Any seeds that mention stratification make my eyes glaze over......I know I should be patient by now, but......naw!!!!!
I have seen kiwis in Aldi before, I'm keeping a look out for hybrid berries atm, I fancy a re-jig of the fruit area on my plot....
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2015, 18:12:32 »
Homebase were selling theirs off cheap last week

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2015, 13:37:37 »
The nearest Homebase to me is a £15 ferry ride away. Thanks anyway, my son is due to come over next week so I might get hime to pick me a couple up. Trouble is he ain't a gardener and he will pick a ratty old one or more likely a  fuschia as it is a plant in a pot.

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2015, 17:54:09 »
Your son can't be as bad as my husband..he made some soup and wanted marjoram, so I told him whereabouts it was in the garden herb bed  and left him to it. Next moment I was pondering over the floral taste of the soup..... He'd put butterfly lavender in instead!😔
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2015, 08:30:35 »
Eleven varieties of fruit from Aldi starting tomorrow (6th) not one kiwi. But when one of the cheapies start the rest follow, so keeping my fingers crossed.   https://www.aldi.co.uk/en/specialbuys/thur-6-aug/product-detail/ps/p/product-page-67/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal