Author Topic: Blackcurrant cuttings need advice  (Read 1643 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Blackcurrant cuttings need advice
« on: July 30, 2015, 05:35:08 »
Put in a load last year and 3/4 took.  At one stage they got overtaken but huge weeds and they still survived and they lacked water in the early spring since I thought them well dead and gave up on them. Later they were doing very well, but now the leaves have started turning yellow between the veins and now some of the leaf edges are turning brown.  Look like they are lacking something.

They have been well watered, though little chance here of overwatering except I may have leached out the minerals.  They have been fed with chicken manure and PFB.   The chicken manure in particular got the leaf production going.

Any suggestions would be welcome. 

Rather oddly I thought I posted this before but it seems to have disappeared.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
Re: Blackcurrant cuttings need advice
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2015, 07:33:03 »
Spray 'em with Epsom salts and mulch with manure?

How windy is the site? My transplanted bush is similar and I think that it's windburn as well as just not having great roots yet.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2015, 09:03:55 »
Site very windy.  Though some are protected by potatoes and they are just the same. Though the potatoes are not close enough to be robbing the soil.  They are next to a path with a hedge the other side so that might be stealing resources but I did think I had given them enough.

Will try the Epsom salts.  Had not thought to spray it on.

Some have grown as much as a foot, so presume that they are starting to get good roots.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 13:00:01 »
I got some of those lidlyaldi cheapies, 3 for 1.99. Red and black currants, gosgogs and raspberries. They all had about the same treatment as yours, weeds, lack of attention etc.  6 weeks ago I had a good couple of hours weeding top dressing with manure and I tipped out all the growing tops. They are now beautiful bushy plants and have grown to a good height. I might even tip them out again next week.  Lost all the tay berries though, but I did plant them alongside the fence and I think the grass and weeds smothered them.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal