Author Topic: shooting potatoes!  (Read 1453 times)

peanuts

• Hectare
shooting potatoes!
« on: July 29, 2015, 11:47:14 »
Chatting to a farmer in the village this morning, I was warned - his main and mid-crop potatoes are shooting in the ground, even though the tops have dies down.  I hadn't thought of looking at those yet, as we are working through what has been a really good crop of early ones - Belle de Fontenay. 
We've now lifted all the mid-seasoned-skinned crop and yes, at least a third of really good-sized potatoes are shooting, green healthy, annoying shoots! 
Should I break them off do you think, and store them as usual, keeping a regular eye on them?  i'm hoping they will keep reasonably.  We'll just have to eat more potatoes quickly!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: shooting potatoes!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 12:38:34 »
I imagined something entirely different from the subject line  :tongue3:

How very strange.  They clearly thought that the growing cycle was over and the next starting.  Lifting the rest of your second earlies fast.  If blight wasn't such a problem, I'd suggest planting some with the bigger shoots for new potatoes late in the year. 

I think you can pinch off the new shoots, then let the' wounds' on the potatoes dry out completely, before storing.  I would not leave the shoots on, because in storage they might want to grow further and take away from the potato tuber.   

peanuts

• Hectare
Re: shooting potatoes!
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 21:18:32 »
Yes, I suppose I could have been talking about a coconut shy, using potatoes!
I agree, thank you, about rubbing off the shoots, as i do with stored potatoes during the winter.  Weirdly they are green with very short leaves, even though they were underground.  I'm drying them off for a day, then will go over them and take them off.  It's by no means all of them, about a third I should think.  Why not the rest?!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal