Author Topic: Wielding a mattock  (Read 3881 times)

thexman

• Not So New ...
Wielding a mattock
« on: July 22, 2015, 20:44:49 »
I'm contemplating acquring a mattock to break up some tough ground.

Can anybody recommend a particular brand of mattock, or even suggest a brand that shouldn't be bought?

Also, I have seen two quite contrasting techniques for using them. One says never lift the mattock above the waist, while another suggests you stand with one leg streched out and then bring the mattock down from above your head. Anybody have a particular favourite or expernience of mattock use?

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Wielding a mattock
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 21:49:48 »
Do not know about a mattock, but this is a good piece of kit.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/diy/dp/B000LFXV2I

Watch out, quite a few are cheaper than the main add.

Recommended by others on this forum and turns out to be excellent, for clearing and soil loosening.

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2015, 22:00:31 »
Try looking at this site

http://www.get-digging.co.uk/

If it is stoney ground then you might be better off with the "Groundbreaker".

Get the best you can afford as cheaper models aren't that strong.

Good Luck
Bill

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2015, 07:33:05 »
Got mine from a car boot sale, good old fashioned quality, then got a pick axe handle to fit. Over the head? you might just get one row done.  I find the best way is to first dig a trench with a spade then with the mattock pull the soil towards it in very small clumps and just using it's own weight with a swing from waist high. Really stubborn bits might need a good over the head whack, but you can soon hurt yourself doing too much.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2015, 11:05:41 »
Best to wear safety shoes. Gives the toes a little protection. 

I don't think I can lift my adze/digging hoe above my head.  Might drop it and knock myself out.  :BangHead:  I have not found it necessary.   The blade is quite heavy and simply cuts through most plants with a bit of a swing.   

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2015, 11:42:53 »
Another things in term of selection is the size of the blade!

As I recall they come in 6"& 8" I saw them side by side when I bought mine and plumbed for the smaller one as I found it much easier to handle.

Since buying I have found it a very useful tool.

I use it for forming trenches,backfilling trenches,earthing up potatoes and I find it very handy for skutching off weeds in the paths between my beds.

I guess it could be used for lots of things that I haven't even thought of yet.

As far as how to wield it is concerned I just work my body from waist level and the effort I put into is subject to the task I am doing.

If I were trying to use it like a pick then I would buy the double sided one as seen here

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Tools-Hoes/Tools%20-%20Hoes.htm

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 18:10:58 »
In my experience, the other think about technique is that rather than lifting the mattock up with the weight of the soil on it, you can just push it backwards- much easier on the back. (if that makes sense!)

This video about the Chillington range illustrates it quite well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeKKaw5Lc6c

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2015, 10:08:40 »
Chopping out tree roots or the like you might need to lift it over your head, but waist high as a digging tool is plenty - you are letting the weight behind the blade do most of the work.

Adrian

My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2015, 15:44:33 »
A mattock's a heavy job; I wouldn't normally raise one above my shoulder, except for big tree roots. It's the weight of the tool that does the work. I don't have much use for mine, it's normally the digging hoe I use for braking roots etc.

thexman

• Not So New ...
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2015, 00:06:07 »
Thanks for your advice. Upon reseach, based on the things you have said, I have bought a Chillington heavy duty hoe, which looks like it will meet my requirements, plus I like Chillington stuff; their wheelbarrows are fantastic.

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2015, 18:27:22 »
I have had a Chillington how for a number of years now and have been really pleased with it - breaks the ground up with little effort.   I also have a Canterbury Fork and they are very useful as well.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 07:49:01 »
Bit late to the party - I have heavy boots and do swing my mattock above my head. Once you get a rhythm going it's nice steady progress.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal