Author Topic: Squirrels, pah  (Read 2983 times)

small

• Hectare
Squirrels, pah
« on: July 21, 2015, 22:30:33 »
At least I suppose it must have been a squirrel .... while  I was watering in the greenhouse last night, I thought, those last dozen strawberries will be just right tomorrow...so I went down for them, and every single one had gone. I'd brought them in (I'd grown them in large pots) because I couldn't keep the birds off them, at least i thought it was birds, now I wonder if it was squirrels all along...I suppose I should be grateful they don't like tomatoes!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
Re: Squirrels, pah
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 00:05:44 »
I think everyone and everything likes strawberries!  For me it has been birds, mice, voles, foxes, badgers and children ... why not squirrels as well?

:BangHead:

hinks87ford

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 12:48:42 »
 Hinks87ford; we have just started having trouble with Squirrel's, eating beetroot ,sweet corn .We have put down snap traps and got our first one last night .

Vinlander

• Hectare
  • North London - heavy but fertile clay
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 20:26:39 »
If you put chicken wire over the vent openings it will keep squirrels out - but if you've any openings at ground level you are more likely to have fallen foul of mice.

Cheers
With a microholding you always get too much or bugger-all. (I'm fed up calling it an allotment garden - it just encourages the tidy-police).

The simple/complex split is more & more important: Simple fertilisers Poor, complex ones Good. Simple (old) poisons predictable, others (new) the opposite.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 20:32:21 »
Hinks87ford; we have just started having trouble with Squirrel's, eating beetroot ,sweet corn .We have put down snap traps and got our first one last night .
Hope its not in Britain, cos its not legal here. You would need Fenn Mk4 traps in suitable treebox enclosures, and full compliance within  the scope of the Animals Act 2006. Other than these, live capture cages and disposal without "undue suffering" is the only route.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 21:18:37 by ancellsfarmer »
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Gavin63

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 19:52:56 »
I find this the best way to deal with Grey's(if safe of course).

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal