Author Topic: Lost my rabbit  (Read 5056 times)

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
Lost my rabbit
« on: July 12, 2015, 12:42:44 »
On Thursday night we lost our rabbit Neo to gut stasis. We did all we could for him but by the time he started to show symptoms he was very sick and he just didn't make it. We're both very sad, he was such a smart cute bunny who made us laugh with all his funny ways, and I clicker-trained him to sit up (like a dog begging) on command. We miss him a lot. :(

It's the first time in 15 years I've been without a pet. It's weird, and not very nice.

But Him Indoors surprised me by being very receptive to the idea of getting two new bunnies! We're going for more Netherlands Dwarfs because I think they are great rabbits, and they'll have more space (proportionally) than bigger bunnies in the nice new cage we're going to build. Planning this is really helping to distract me from the sadness.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Lost my rabbit
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 16:07:37 »
So close after losing your lovely dog.  What a blow.   () .    I am very sorry for you, but delighted with you at the prospect of getting two little ones.  I had no idea that rabbits could be trained at all. 

Let us know please about the new run and cage and of course when the babies arrive (pictures please).   :wave: 

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 19:47:51 »
I think any animal can be trained if you find what motivates them, and rabbits are much smarter than people think. Neo would do anything for his food pellets, so I used that to my advantage.

And using a clicker really helped too.

I first started thinking that he would be trainable when I realised he was responding to certain cues, like getting very excited when Michael came downstairs in the morning because he knew that meant he'd get breakfast and a run around. He'd stand up in a certain section if the cage if he wanted to be petted, because that's where we usually petted him. He was very smart.

Rabbits can be trained to do lots of things, including showjumping!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2015, 19:48:26 »
Oh yes, pictures will definitely happen, don't worry about that. ;)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 08:53:01 »
I'm so sorry you lost your lovely rabbit, he was just so handsome. But it's good you are able to look ahead to getting two new babies. Having lots to plan and do will really help.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Paulines7

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 09:07:57 »
I am sorry to hear about your rabbit, Silverleaf but hope the new bunnies will be some compensation for your loss and bring you much happiness.  I look forward to seeing pictures of them when they arrive.

pumkinlover

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2015, 07:45:37 »
Only just seen this,so  sorry about Neo. He was a lovely little bun.
Just to let you know that there is a little otter Nethie at Chesterfield RSPCA called Brucie, and Barnsley Animal rescue had Janice and Joplin when I was there a couple of weeks ago.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2015, 11:24:29 »
Thank you jayb, Pauline and pumpkinlover. It's been hard but I'm coping. We buried Neo in the orchard and marked the place with a rock and some of his favourite mint. I say hello to him every time I go past (which is silly as I don't believe in any kind of afterlife, but it's comforting).

I did consider rescue bunnies but I don't think I'm an experienced enough owner, having only had three rabbits. Rescues next time, I think.

We're actually going to see a breeder today, and meet the pair of brothers we've reserved. :) They'll be ready to move in with us near the end of August.

I spent last night building a multi-level cage from wire storage cube grids and a million cable ties. It's looking pretty good and now only needs plywood for the shelves/steps/upper floor, a piece of vinyl flooring, a few toys and towels and blankets, a new litterbox, and of course some bunnies. ;)

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 16:44:58 »
Wanna see our new boys? Of course you do!

They don't have names yet. They are three weeks old and can leave their mother and come to live with us at 8 weeks. They're really friendly and calm as they've been handled every day, and mum looked really relaxed. Dad is also gorgeous, and all the rabbits obviously like people - I've never petted so many bunny noses in my life!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2015, 21:05:21 »
Wanna see our new boys? Of course you do!

They don't have names yet. They are three weeks old and can leave their mother and come to live with us at 8 weeks. They're really friendly and calm as they've been handled every day, and mum looked really relaxed. Dad is also gorgeous, and all the rabbits obviously like people - I've never petted so many bunny noses in my life!

They are tiny!  That will be a long month and a bit to wait for them.  Will you visit occasionally?  Glad that the breeder and the parent animals look and behave in such a relaxed and happy way.  Gives you confidence. 
And it is true that everybody and everything that ever lived, leaves an echo on the world.

You will be very busy with these little chaps and their needs before long.   :sunny: 

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2015, 22:11:24 »
Oh I know, I couldn't believe how tiny they are. They'll be small as adults too, Nethies only get to about 500-1500g.

I honestly don't know how I'm going to wait 5 weeks. I'm not sure if we'll visit again before we pick them up because it's a 2 hour round trip, but we'll see.

I'm really excited about them, they are so lovely.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal