Author Topic: Gooseberry bushes  (Read 2992 times)

Oldhippy

• Quarter Acre
Gooseberry bushes
« on: July 02, 2015, 13:12:04 »
I`ve got a great goosegog harvest this year - after suffering badly from sawfly last year. The trouble is picking them. Many of them are deep in the bushes and I`m having difficulty getting to them.(Don`t remember having this trouble before.)  I usually cut them back in winter. Would it hurt to give them a trim now to allow me to get at the ones hiding under the thorns? I don`t want to cause any permanent damage.

strawberry1

• Hectare
Re: Gooseberry bushes
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2015, 15:24:44 »
I have far far too many gooseberries this year, on my own now so I have picked them all and bottled the great majority. I have just trimmed all 7 bushes drastically, aiming for tall standards, forever supported by a stake. The berries all hang down so picking from year two will be very much easier.  There will be no berries next year

I would cut off any low lying branches, cutting off at the main stem, fruit and all, then pick those in comfort. Do the same with any inner branches that you are sure you will want to remove to get the ideal open goblet shape. If you need to get at the fruit in the centre then wear long sleeves and gloves and if room, then work over a small bucket. I picked my last ones yesterday over a small bucket with gloves and it took a fraction of the time. Then I scalped my last two bushes, so now they are all one stem and one shoot, several have wonky stems but that doesn`t matter. I had enough gooseberries for two years this year so I am ok being without next year, while I concentrate on getting the standards going. I pick sitting on a kneeling stool and am almost 70 so have to look forward to making it easier

I have grown gooseberries for a long time but in a different place and I was younger. In my experience, pruning now does no physical harm to the plant, they are robust
« Last Edit: July 02, 2015, 15:27:05 by strawberry1 »

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 17:03:33 »
I was taught to aim for a goblet shaped plant as this helps both you and the plants health.

Air and light gets into the centre of the plant and reduces the risk of mildew, and there is better access to the fruit.

Plus the potential to avoid getting scratched.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2015, 17:24:13 »
I have a gooseberry with very few thorns. The downside is that the flavour of the fruit is very disappointing. 

Oldhippy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2015, 08:48:40 »
Thanks for the advice - I`ll get out the secateurs and thick gloves and get picking.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2015, 14:15:28 »
i have posted this pic a month ago but thought you would like a peak oldhippy
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2015, 20:53:35 »
Johnnyco, that is seriously impressive
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 14:19:51 »
Johnnyco, that is seriously impressive
why thankyou its been a really good year these were the thinings before i took that pic

Oldhippy

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2015, 20:18:07 »
Wow! Do you freeze them - jam them - make wine - or all three?  :icon_cheers:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2015, 20:21:04 »
Wow! Do you freeze them - jam them - make wine - or all three?  :icon_cheers:
jam and freeze them pics were around a month ago there nearly ripe now so you can eat them raw they get translucent and lovely and sweet

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2015, 16:06:28 »
I've got two bushes and reckon I'll get about 500 fruit off each but all large grape / quail's egg size. I guess you have to water, water and water again to get larger fruit? I'd love to have dessert gooseberries that you just eat, he size of kiwi fruit. Am I dreaming?

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal