Author Topic: The time has come! Any good questions for an allotment visit?  (Read 7464 times)

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
Hi everyone,
Long time no see (or possibly no lurking), but I hope this finds you all well.

Well, yesterday, after five years on the waiting list I got the email to say I was finally being offered a plot at our local allotment here in Pudsey.   :happy7: I'm trying to fix up a visit, so any good things to check up on? 

Regards to you all,
Sue

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: The time has come! Any good questions for an allotment visit?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2015, 16:11:37 »
May I suggest you read this introduction to allotments I drew up a couple of years ago.

http://www.thegardenersalmanac.co.uk/Data/Allotments/Allotments.htm

I would also suggest that you you have a look at the related links column subjects as well.

BTW Welcome to the allotment movement.........now it all begins!

I have had an allotment for over thirty years and I am still learning.

My best piece of advice is to mate up with one of the 'old timers' on the plot.

My mentor who sadly died a few years ago had forgotten more about gardening & allotments than I have ever learned.

Another piece of advice is; don't come over as being clever and never ever say you know how to this and that as this is one of  the best way to offend someone who is trying to help but is not articulate enough to do so.

Listen to what they have to say and take on board what you consider to be good advice, the rest is up to you!

As I sad ......now it all begins but you unlike me,  have the backing of A4A

In my early days I had nothing like this.

If I learned something then I usually had to wait until the next year to see if it worked , if it didn't I had to wait another year to try something else.

At least with A4A many of us have been there done that and got the Tee shirt so they can often advise of any pitfalls.

I would also suggest you keep a diary, it doesn't have to be too detailed, I think sowing dates, germination and planting out times are enough to be going on with.

My website is a culmination of my diaries since 1986.

I close now in the hope that I have given you some ideas to be going on with.....Tg

GREGME

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2015, 17:32:21 »
Agree with previous advice on here but maybe try to assess why the previous person has given up - bad soil, position etc and look at the plots around you. if they are leaving because its out of control or on unproductive then remember you may face the same challenges. I'm guessing because its available now rather than at year end its because its become overgrown and they've been served a notice or accepted its too much. Anyway good luck. 

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2015, 18:05:42 »
After waiting 5 years good luck and any problems with the allocated plot can be sorted out one way or another  :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers: :icon_cheers:
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 20:18:33 »
How exciting.  Such a long wait.  My advise is to enjoy it.    I would suggest that you make sure you know where the ends of the plot are.  The quickest way to annoy people is to encroach on their plot.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2015, 10:20:16 »
Congratulations on being offered a plot  :icon_cheers:

Oooh do take some pictures so you remember what it looks like when you first saw it, plus you can show us nosy ones here too  :toothy10:
Is there water on site, hosepipe etc, are sheds and greenhouse allowed and what size. Any hedges or trees close by, shaded full sun, which way does it face?

Good luck let us know how your visit goes  :wave:
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2015, 10:53:46 »
No advice sorry.  Hope the offered plot has everything you want (well mostly anyway, as nothing is ever perfect).  You sound really happy after this epic long wait.   :blob7:

Still just time for beans, perhaps not climbing beans but dwarfs, you could maybe chance a courgette too.  Carrots, swede, turnip all the orientals and many more can be sown now.

Wish you a really good start and good allotment neighbours.  Hope not too much needs doing to get the plot producing asap.

And as Jayb said, photos please for us nosey-parkers   :wave:

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2015, 11:44:32 »
More than likely there will only be one plot on offer - if you have waited five years there probably isn't going to be many going spare.  However if you have a choice of plots consider the benefits of being near the gate in terms of getting stuff in and out and weigh it up against the fact that if you are near the gate or entrance then you are more public and everyone will be walking past you on their way in and out.

Once you have a plot then the work can begin!  Tee Gee pretty much has it covered but what you do next depends on how the plot has been looked after - if you are lucky and take over a plot from a decent gardener then it should be fairly clear but more oftern than not someone has been chucked off for lack of cultivation so it may be in a state and covered in weeds.  My advice then is not to panic and to take it easy - clear a bit and get something in and don't try to do everything at once.  Make sure you have a basic tool kit - spade/fork, trowel, ball of twine etc.  Introduce yourself to your neighbours, relax and enjoy!!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2015, 20:13:15 »
Thank you, everyone, for all your helpful comments and good wishes - really appreciated.  A visit is fixed up for tomorrow but I managed to find out which side of the site the allocated plot is on today and went for a sneaky look with Junior this afternoon.   :toothy10:  And, interestingly, someone else has also been offered a new plot at the same time, so, all being well, I won't be the only newbie.

Regards,
Sue
 :coffee2:

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2015, 23:15:21 »
Aspect and soil, look at those first as they are the biggest influences on how you will have to garden. Then proximity to water,and how easy it would be to get deliveries of manure etc. then look at what is already on it, sheds, trees plants etc. that's my tuppenceworth!
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2015, 03:17:57 »
Hope it's wonderful SueK!

Just a quick aside, how do you tell what the aspect is Deb P? I'm always being asked which way my garden faces and I don't know how to tell because I'm on a corner, with the garden wrapping around both the back and the side of the house.

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2015, 05:34:36 »
Great news. Let us know how you get on.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2015, 10:42:06 »

Just a quick aside, how do you tell what the aspect is Deb P? I'm always being asked which way my garden faces and I don't know how to tell because I'm on a corner, with the garden wrapping around both the back and the side of the house.

Aspect is important if you have a small garden or if you have obstacles that cast shade.  A north facing short garden will be shaded by the house until the sun's rays reach over the roof of the house.  When the sun is low in the sky (winter months), a north facing short garden may never get sun, especially close to the house.  On the other hand a so-called 'suntrap' is a garden where the sun, both in winter and in summer will reach the garden without shading from objects such as houses, roofs, hedges or fences.  If your garden is long enough and your growing plot is away from the shading of the house, a north facing garden is as good as a south facing one.  But in the UK, most gardens aren't that long, so the aspect matters. 

On an allotment aspect matters too, especially when slopes are involved and of course any trees, hedges, fencing or shading from the club house.  Many plants do best with as many sun hours as they can have, but most of us have to make do with what we have, rather than ideal conditions.  A flat, open, large allotment site, such as Wallsall Road, is far better aspect wise than a suburban garden with significant shading

To answer your question more closely - if you stand at the back of your house facing away from the house that is the direction the garden 'faces'.  As you have a side garden as well, stand at the side of the house, look away from the house and you will be looking at the direction of the side part.  It depends on what other obstacles there are in your vicinity, whether the one or the other direction is more significant.  A south-facing but very short garden, that is overshaded by a neighbouring roof, could have far less sunshine hours than an easterly or westerly side garden, which in theory get fewer sun hours.

To condense a long diatribe - it is not the aspect but the sun hours that matter.
 :wave: 
« Last Edit: July 03, 2015, 10:54:07 by galina »

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2015, 12:18:15 »
Thanks Galina! That's really helpful. The back of the house faces East, and the side to the South. My raised beds are in sun most of the day in summer, so I guess I planned correctly! ;)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2015, 18:35:44 »
I have a good question.  What can I get started?

pumkinlover

« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2015, 06:55:43 »
I have a good question.  What can I get started?

What a kind offer  :glasses9:

SueK

• Half Acre
  • Pudsey, West Yorkshire
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2015, 13:35:32 »
Hello again,

Well,  I visited the plot being offered on Friday and, to be honest, it took me about five minutes to say I'd take it.  It's roughly south facing (might be slightly out, but not much), has good access and there is a water supply.  Cons are that there is a tree at one end (fortunately not casting shade over the plot) and there is some (cough) overgrown vegetation, but, as someone has said already, there is an expectation that it'll be dealt with over a year or so, rather than in a mad frenzy.  Overall, it all seemed really positive. 

In the evening, the OH and I ventured over for a look together and, in addition to the raised beds and strawbs which I'd seen earlier, we also noticed some raspberry canes, so right now I'm itching to get back in there, have a good root around and get down to it!  Can't wait!   :toothy10:

Regards,
Sue
 :coffee2:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2015, 17:25:42 »
Great  :icon_cheers:
Sounds like you already have the making of a lovely plot  :toothy10:
Good luck, looking forward to your progress.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2015, 06:52:40 »
Sounds really good.  Glad you are pleased and that water and even raised beds and a few established plants are there already. 

You are probably there right now.  What size is the plot?  Perhaps you get some raspberries to sustain early efforts too. 

Congratulations  :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal