Author Topic: Cabbage whites  (Read 3185 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Cabbage whites
« on: June 30, 2015, 19:58:59 »
I am going to regret this ain't I. But is it just me or across the country. Loads of butterflies about, gatekeepers, skippers. tortoise shells etc. Not a single sighting of the dreaded white around my cabbages.  I don't really want to see them gone but it is nice not having to go on caterpillar slaughter raids.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
Re: Cabbage whites
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 20:02:54 »
yes ace i too have noticed the lack of the little blighters just one or two not the thousands we are used tohere :glasses9: :glasses9: :glasses9: :glasses9: :coffee2:
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 20:50:47 »
Don't hold your breath.  Maybe a bit early.  The cold mornings might have kept them dormant.

I reckon the first week in August.  One of my plot neighbours goes on holiday and they always seem to be at their worst when they are away.

We have rape next door so hopefully they will go after that but I doubt it, the leaves will be a bit tough, must better a nice tender leaf.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 21:20:49 »
I have small cabbage whites appearing and yes, there are now wee caterpillars in my broccoli heads.

Very few other butterflies though.   Loads of bees though so all is not lost.
Obxx - Vendée France

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 22:20:37 »
We had lots of butterflies a month or so ago, but very few now. Just a couple of whites.

small

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 08:26:19 »
Saw my first white yesterday, nowhere near my brassicas though. Not many others around, I seem to get most once the buddleias flower, another week or two. Hundreds of bees this year, the cotoneasters have been alive with them.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 10:20:49 »
Yes, seems to be a good year for bees. I let my PSB flower and it was constantly buzzing with all kinds of bees.

Unfortunately it's also a good year for aphids. :(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 14:51:15 »
I've only noticed a few so far. Butterflies are recovering from those two dismal summers a few years back, but it's taking time. Before that, by Great Mullein were always turned into lacework by Mullein Moth caterpillars, then recovered later after they'd pupated. There are still only a few of the things on the plants, but definitely more than last year.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 08:39:24 »
We've had some dancing around here, sends the dog potty as she tries to catch them.
The sea Kale had quite a few caterpillars a little while back, I guess there wasn't anything else available for them to eat.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Silverleaf

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 10:29:35 »
Saw two yesterday, doing their little courtship dance...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal