Author Topic: Potato Blight.  (Read 2328 times)

rokerman1973

• Quarter Acre
Potato Blight.
« on: June 30, 2015, 17:09:31 »
What are people using now to prevent blight since we have had a few products withdrawn as per the EU? I'm considering spraying as a preventative measure this week if I can source something that will deter it. Thought I had it today but thing and hope it was just a haulm dying through lack of water or other reason.  :nike:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Potato Blight.
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 18:14:49 »
I am aiming at planting early and look for varieties with resistance.  For the rest it's just fingers crossed here, no sprays.  When blight starts on the foliage, I cut the plants down, but only harvest the tubers a week or two later to prevent blight spores getting on the tubers themselves.    :wave:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 20:54:34 »
I did not think that the weather is not right at the moment for blight far too dry here.   Certainly no 'full smith period' yet.

Join blight watch and they will send you an email or a SMS when you need to think about spraying.

No signs here so far, and no rain either.   We normally go very early on.   

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2015, 22:42:39 »
Very hot weather here - and it's just started raining for the first time in ages.  If the predictions are correct there are likely to be a fair few thunderstorms over the next week.  If you have a lot of them then it's going to be prime Smith period weather very soon!

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2015, 06:22:39 »
I mostly grow earlies so they are up and out of the ground before late blight can cause a problem. I do grow a few maincrop, but keep a beady eye on them when the weather is consistently wet and muggy.

rokerman1973

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2015, 18:03:39 »
Thanks for your replies. Been up the plot this morning and it likes like half of one row have the start of blight. Thought it would be too early.Have been watering well on a weekly basis if no significant rainfall. Was thinking of starting spraying with something this week. Bitterly disappointed. Need to try and save the other rows!

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2015, 20:21:02 »
Are you sure it is blight.  The earlies on our site are now dying down with dark spots.   Can you post a pic.  Especially the back of a leaf with the blight.

rokerman1973

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2015, 21:38:39 »
Digeroo - I'll be up there on Friday as expecing heavy rain tomorrow. I'll take a picture and try and get it on her. I'm not very technically minded. It's the main crop that is going. I'm in the process of harvesting the new pots as and when required and they are dying back.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 23:19:42 »
Last year I harvested my main crop of storage Desirée and Charlottes really early in July due to a blight scare and got a fantastic crop with the added bonus that they didn't have any slug/ant damage ... I'm planning on holding out as long as I possibly can and then getting in there again this year.  Leaving them in until September can be a mistake even if blight isn't on the radar.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal