Author Topic: Pond question  (Read 2354 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Pond question
« on: June 28, 2015, 11:30:27 »
Having an exciting weekend wildlife-wise. First the bees, then we spotted a frog and found that our tiny pond, which is fairly neglected and hasn't ever attracted frogs was full of tadpoles. Just wondering whether we should remove the duckweed?

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
Re: Pond question
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 12:30:55 »
Personally, I would get rid of the duckweed. I remember spending a lot of time trying to get rid of it years ago. It was a real pest, taking over the pond. :BangHead:

I, too, have lots of tadpoles in my pond this year but the water is very green due to a broken down UV filter unit. Hopefully, with the newly installed replacement it will clear in a week or two so that I can see the fish again :icon_cheers:.

Tricia

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2015, 10:17:14 »
Treat duckweed like any other weed.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2015, 10:35:38 »
Personally I would not try to clear up the duck weed too thoroughly while the tadpoles are there. If the frogs are happy to spawn there...the conditions must be good for their off spring. Taking lot of it off may cause big changes for the water quality and you might harm the creatures AND the duckweed will keep them safe from predators too! But once they've 'fletched'...there is nothing stopping you..

I don't mind little duckweed...trouble is that once you turn your back...there is no water to be seen...if you don't have duck weed, you often get issues with blanketweed. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.. :BangHead:
If you do clear it out....do get plenty of other type of pond 'greenery' to give shade, shelter for the wildlife and to 'mop up all the extra nutrients from the water or the blanket weed will turn up and you have 'mermaids' hair floating around all over the place.

Little while ago I read article where it said how good duck weed actually is for the garden...full of nutrients, easily compostable etc etc..can't remember what was said about, but after reading it, I started to scoop lot of it to mulch my pot plants and some other plants in garden. It did look bit odd for while but soon turned brown and blended into surroundings.
'Sadly' my pond had complete overhaul this spring and I don't have any duckweed left...I suspect it will come back eventually, riding back on frogs backs...
Just as I learned how to make it useful, I got rid of it...!!! :BangHead: OH NO...no kind offers for it thank you!...I've got supply of it in allotment ponds...should I ever need to spread it more...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal