Author Topic: Onion white rot  (Read 4871 times)

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
Onion white rot
« on: June 27, 2015, 20:13:25 »
Just binned yet another load of autumn planted onions because of white
Rot. Does anyone grow onions in containers? so avoiding contaminated soil. If you do which is the best method.  :BangHead:
Paul

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
Re: Onion white rot
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2015, 09:34:57 »
not tried that ive lost all mine to white rot

im trying the crushed garlic in water for next year once my spot is empty im going to crush a clove of garlic in to a watering can and fill it with water and water the ground where the onions are going its supposed to trick the white rot spores in to germinating as they detect garlic but there is no garlic for them to feed on so they die

maureen.alder.9

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2015, 16:38:23 »
I lost a lot of mine last year to white rot, this year I have put some in a different bed and they are not  bulbing up very well at the moment but they had to cope the high winds earlier in the year I also planted some in a wooden bed that I made I lined it with weed supressant and put top soil topped up with compost and and am waiting to see the outcome

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2015, 16:58:31 »
I had a lot of white rot years ago, the only way I got round it was in raised beds with fresh soil/compost at least a foot deep, no probs since.   :drunken_smilie:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2015, 18:10:43 »
........or you could use the proven 'fooling method' posted on the site a couple of time, search and you'll find!
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 12:44:39 »
I've just harvested my garlic, having watered the plot well with garlic powder in the autumn (I bought from Countrywide -  you can buy it for putting in horse food, makes them taste good for the French Market).

Last year I lost 75% to white rot, this year I have one bulb affected of 20-odd, and thus far no sign on the onions and shallots next door to it.

Once we have water in the wells again I shall be doing the same on more of my plot.

Fingers crossed for the rest...

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2015, 19:07:57 »
That's good to know that it worked. I my try that on my one of my plots.

Pescador

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2015, 20:52:58 »
Adrian, can you tell me what rate you used? I haven't been able to grow any onions etc for the last 2 years but have now bought 3kg of garlic powder to treat a patch for next year, but how much is needed per sq.meter?
Like us on Facebook. Paul's Preserves and Pickles.
Miskin, Pontyclun. S. Wales.
Every pickle helps!

pumkinlover

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2015, 08:08:31 »
Just binned yet another load of autumn planted onions because of white
Rot. Does anyone grow onions in containers? so avoiding contaminated soil. If you do which is the best method.  :BangHead:
I have used containers successfully. Got a great crop last year of Walla wallas .
This year everything gone wrong so binned every onion and garlic :BangHead: .

ETA:- If you use containers beware of sails and slugs. Found a regular breeding factory where mine were. Not sure if all problems caused by the little slimy guys now.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 13:11:38 by pumpkinlover »

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2015, 09:16:50 »
Ooh, there's a difficult question! I think I used about three heaped scoops from the scoop in the tub (so I guess 150mls or so dry volume)in a 2 gallon can, then just watered an area with a coarse until I reckoned the surface was saturated. I'm not sure that helps you a lot... It did smell quite impressive for several days, if that helps any?

Adrian

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2015, 12:11:14 »
Hi Ya, Good news Gray1720,I believe I heard of a trial taking place somewhere with garlic powder but can find no reference to it. I have some garlic granules as I couldn't find powder any where in the normal shops and buying on line, well when I saw the price of postage phew! I am considering crushing the granules and trying that. I assume you treat next years onion ground this year etc, so now is the time to apply the concoction. I did read that you have to dig the ground and apply twice, did you do that? as onions are shallow rooted I would of thought a good soaking like you mention would do the trick. Any more information you have on exactly how when you applied would be most helpfull to a lot of fellow gardeners. But good news to hear it worked for you and you have proved it works, are you on sandy soil or clay? does the soil make a difference I wonder, I will give it a go any way as nothing ventured nothing gained. Very interesting as white rot seems to be so wide spread. Happy gardening.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2015, 16:17:38 »
I think you'll need to find the original thread to find the discussion of when to do it - I only got mine applied once without a dig and a second application as the weather interrupted, but the idea is to do it while the soil is still warm and the fungal spores will germinate.

I'm on a pretty decent loam, with some clay if I dig too deep. Must be alkaline a it grows brassicas!

Adrian

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2015, 17:21:41 »
I can't find the thread for a moment but I'm sure there was one about topping a raised bed with a good depth of clean compost/soil and growing garlic for one season and getting good results. It might have been from a couple of years ago.

If your interested in trying an organic control have a look here http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,78156.msg792062.html#msg792062
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2015, 20:48:09 »

lezelle

• Acre
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2015, 07:06:19 »
Hi Ya, thanks astra man. I will give it a go and use the garlic I've got crushed up. I will also look for some powder as we have some equine store s around. Happy Gardening

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal