Author Topic: Squirrels , so what...  (Read 1842 times)

picman

• Acre
Squirrels , so what...
« on: June 27, 2015, 15:56:46 »
Is it unreasonable to ask our committee if they can do something about the small band of Squirrels that are destroying our crops.. ? At the moment all I get is a grin !

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Squirrels , so what...
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 16:48:53 »
Umm...well...you can ask...but in reality it is quite not so straight forward...that's if you want to be in right side of the law. In closely built up areas your only option is to trap(or poison but it can be tricky to do) and then dispose off those trapped animals 'humanely', and that can be 'fun game' to do. In practise squirrel 'removal' can be more trouble than it is worth it. If you trap grey squirrel, it is illegal to release them into wild again and it is illegal for you to dispose them off 'just like that'.
Fire arms are not allowed to built up areas neither....
You might need land owners agreement to deal with the issue...
Professional help can become costly....

And those are only few issues I can come up from top of my head. I think you would raise much more interest from committee if you do good research for you options...price it all up and present it to them as package of options with other members support...it should tell them that you are being serious. I would certainly contact professionals and council's pest control for further help and ideas.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2015, 16:55:55 by goodlife »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 17:06:07 »
another one....here is a link with quite a bit of info for you...http://www.greysquirrelcontrol.co.uk/law.php

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 22:49:41 »
They live like rats; I've seen them going in and out of drains. Rat traps or poison might do it, but put it under cover to avoid catching birds.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal