Author Topic: External DVD Rewriter  (Read 2834 times)

Palustris

• Hectare
External DVD Rewriter
« on: June 27, 2015, 12:17:44 »
The DVD writer on my Tower is now chewing up discs instead of writing to them. The SSD is almost full so I need to empty out the Photos on to DVD's fairly quickly.
I could take the machine in and have a new Writer fitted, but that would take a week and is rather more expensive. Not capable of doing it myself either.
So question is, can I use a Samsung SE-218BB Rewriter with a Windows 7 PC? And is it any good? If not then what?
TIA
Gardening is the great leveller.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: External DVD Rewriter
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2015, 12:34:13 »
Do you really need your photos to be on DVDs?   I now backup all mine to an external hard disk.   €80 for a terabyte, no need for special software and easily portable.
Obxx - Vendée France

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2015, 13:54:22 »
The External Drive is also full. And the DVD's are for extra protection against loss.

Poppy Mole

• Hectare
  • Petworth, West Sussex
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2015, 15:23:24 »
I bought an HP dvd/cd rewriter to use with with windows 7, I don't think it cost me much & works a treat

picman

• Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2015, 16:08:16 »
Its not that difficult to replace an internal DVD , just a few screws , two plugs ... should not require any setup ... done , less than £10 ... not got anyone to help you , ask around the lotty site ?
http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/categories.aspx?cat=5&catname=Optical%20Drives

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2015, 16:56:42 »
Replacing the internal drive would involve taking the machine into town and doing without it for a few days and the charges start at £30 plus parts and VAT.
Easier to just buy an external, especially as it would actually cost me nothing. I have a large number of Amazon vouchers which need using.
I also want to re-do all the music CDs which are getting damaged now in the car.
Oh and I have not been able to work out how to actually get inside this machine yet.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal