Author Topic: Chick Pea Progress.  (Read 4259 times)

clumsy

• Half Acre
Chick Pea Progress.
« on: June 22, 2015, 11:02:04 »
Just seen the pods are starting to come along. Can't wait for fresh chick peas.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Chick Pea Progress.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 22:15:16 »
Snap!

I read that it is fine to start early as they can take a bit of frost and it seems to have been the right decision.  Last year's harvest was very light, with the earlier start I hope we are going to see more.   :sunny:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2015, 07:56:16 »
They are looking great guys, well envious I decided not to sow mine as I thought it had got a bit too late to sow.
Be earlier next year!
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 08:06:14 »
Chickpeas are easy to grow I find. You do need to start them early. I sowed mine as the same time as peas on 10th of march. They handle the weather very well. Hanna chick peas never heard of them, What region are they from? I like chickpeas they are very versatile to cook with. Best dip for young children is chocolate hummus.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 08:43:21 »
Chickpeas are easy to grow I find. You do need to start them early. I sowed mine as the same time as peas on 10th of march. They handle the weather very well. Hanna chick peas never heard of them, What region are they from? I like chickpeas they are very versatile to cook with. Best dip for young children is chocolate hummus.

Hannan Pop Beans are a chickpea variety which pops in heat, a bit like pop corn.  Carol Deppe (who has written several books about growing veg, gardening philosophy and amateur plant breeding and improving vegetable varieties)  tested many of the purple flowered, black chick peas for vigour and 'popability'.  The best and best yielding at her home in Oregon, USA, was named after Mr Hannan who had helped her project by providing as many different unnamed varieties as were available at the seed bank.  Hannan Pop Bean originates from Morocco but had no name or information beyond that.

Black chickpeas flower purple.  The pop-ability is an alternative to lengthy soaking, but of course these chick peas can be soaked and cooked conventionally just as well. 

Last year I started much later, enough seed for myself, but no meaningful harvest beyond that.  I hope for better things this year.   :wave:  I hope to make hummus from my own chick peas at last. 

Nice to compare notes on what is clearly a bit of a minority crop in the UK.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2015, 09:01:57 by galina »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2015, 10:20:41 »
Galina....by the look of it, mine is in same stage :icon_cheers: I can't believe how hardy they are...my plants went out early April (I think) when we had that really warm weather...and then came the cold, they even had few frosty nights under builders nettings. Admitedly they did look bit sulky after the cold spell but have since bounced back and looking very different plants indeed.

Looking forward to this crop :icon_cheers:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 10:39:26 »
Best dip for young children is chocolate hummus.

That sounds interesting, do you have a recipe you could share please?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2015, 14:56:54 »
My chickpeas have buds, but haven't flowered yet. I sowed later than you guys though! The plants look really nice, I'm looking forward to seeing the flowers.

Anyone have an idea how many chickpeas I'll get from one plant? I have about 20 plants - I'd like to taste a few as well as save seeds. ;)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 07:52:12 »

Anyone have an idea how many chickpeas I'll get from one plant? I have about 20 plants - I'd like to taste a few as well as save seeds. ;)

Sorry, so far I have only found out how few you get when you start late  :BangHead:  But you did start earlier than I did last year, so you may well have a respectable harvest.  Fingers crossed  :wave:

Generally speaking, I believe chickpeas are light cropping plants.  But they thrive on neglect, need no watering and that makes up for it.  Being a legume, they leave difficult soils in better condition, especially if the stems are cut and the roots left in the soil after harvest. 
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 08:00:30 by galina »

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 14:23:15 »
This is the ingredent's I use personally few and simple.

250 grams more or less chickpeas
3 tablespoons cocoa powder I use bioglan cacao powder but other make's are available.
8 medjool date's make sure you take out the pitts. (medjool date's are soft and sweet)
1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
milk or water to make it easy to blend to get it smooth.

Combine all ingredients in food processor until smooth.
If hummus is too thick, add just a bit more milk or water.
Refrigerate for 1-2 hours before serving.

You can play with the ingredients depends on your own taste, you can add nut butter like peanut, cashew and hazelnut
I prefer smooth cashew butter. These are optional you can add for your own taste to make it more sweet
maple syrup, honey, agave or sugar
vanilla extract
1 teaspoon instant coffee powder (optional for adults).
« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 14:27:28 by clumsy »

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2015, 14:33:40 »
Silverleaf from black chickpeas you get 2 to 4 in a pod, Most of the time it will be 2.
I've never counted how many you get from one plant. They are easy to grow but  harvesting and shelling them is another thing all together..

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2015, 17:34:42 »
The most chickpeas I had was 3 in a pod, but 2 is normal.

That is a great recipe suggestion Clumsy.  MMMM  ............ now just need the chickpeas.  Been squeezing the pods gently, but they still feel empty. 

As an aside: Just checked your brand of cocoa which I had never heard of - ouch that's pricey.  Is it that much better than Green and Black's?

« Last Edit: June 26, 2015, 17:41:16 by galina »

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2015, 18:51:57 »
galina I haven't tried Green and Black's powder but I think it would be the same.
I do like Green and Black's dark chocolate bar though.

The pods won't be ready till middle to late july depending on the weather.

clumsy

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2015, 13:31:43 »
I started harvesting on sunday. Fingers are a bit sore un podding them. Will update with picture's later.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2015, 16:32:14 »
I started harvesting on sunday. Fingers are a bit sore un podding them. Will update with picture's later.

Looking forward to the photos.  Mine are feeling full and hard inside the pods, but the plants are still flowering above 5 or 6 pods.  How many pods do you get on each branch?  Presumably you picked the lowest and left the rest to carry on growing?   :wave:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015, 18:09:04 »
I have in the past got dry chick peas from a weigh it yourself shop. Will these germinate if I try them next year.

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 20:43:07 »
I have in the past got dry chick peas from a weigh it yourself shop. Will these germinate if I try them next year.

You don't have much to loose trying.  My gigandes beans seem to be growing okay, reached top of canes and flowering fine.  They were grown from beans purchased from Greek deli.  £6/kg.

earlypea

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2015, 12:49:40 »
I've been nibbling at mine for over a week now (sown 3rd May) Principe variety.  Seems to me they start to branch after you pick.  I'm getting more little branches with flowers in addition to the original branches carrying on.  Also they're totally pest free next to completely black-fly infested dwarf french beans.

I have no wish to let them dry - absolutely love them green: raw or slightly cooked.

This is the first time they've come to fruition for me.  I sowed some in the Autumn or late summer before and they came through to spring, but someone pulled them when I was away thinking they were a prolific weed.

My only issue is that they're so fiddly to pod.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 10:13:51 »
I'm starting to be able to feel mine in the pods now. I'm going to resist tasting more than a couple though! I absolutely love chickpeas so I'll need some willpower...

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal