Author Topic: molasses on tomatoes  (Read 5925 times)

cestrian

• Half Acre
molasses on tomatoes
« on: June 06, 2015, 21:25:32 »
I read in Grow Your Own mag that 450g of Molasses in a 9L watering can once every two weeks will give your toms a real boost. I bought 4L for £6.50 today from a horsey retailer. I think they use it in the feed mix.

Anyway does anyone else use molasses and if so have you noticed an improvement?

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: molasses on tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 06:19:46 »
No, I haven't heard of it before! But now that you've mentioned it...I did bit of 'googling' and found lots of articles about it.
Like this one.. http://www.weekendgardener.net/organic-fertilizer/molasses-050805.htm

Interesting............! See, you learn something new every day  :icon_cheers:

(going to rummage the cupboard..I know I have jar somewhere that needs using up, so I might as well try this....)

ETA: How about molasses and MILK!... :drunken_smilie: :icon_cheers: http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/milk-and-molasses-magic-zbcz1402.aspx
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 06:26:23 by goodlife »

LonghornGardens

• Not So New ...
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 17:21:46 »
I use it.  I use it on almost everything in my garden.  I am not sure if it works or not other than I always have a great garden. 

If you have deer however it will attract them like a moth to a flame.  As I have many deer,  I will mix it up and then urinate in the watering can a couple of times.  The added nitrogen helps the plants and dissuades the deer and rabbits.

maureen.alder.9

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 17:31:15 »
This is nothing to do with molasses but one of my tomato plants in the greenhouse the lower leaves are curling up I have removed it from the GH into the potting shed but I wondered if it is something I should be concerned about would be grateful for any advice

thanks

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2015, 19:37:41 »
This is nothing to do with molasses but one of my tomato plants in the greenhouse the lower leaves are curling up I have removed it from the GH into the potting shed but I wondered if it is something I should be concerned about would be grateful for any advice

thanks
its a stress related response prob due to cold nights it can be a aphid born virus but it wont harm the crops best defence even temp even watering no extremes hope this helps and as for the molasses they say it sweetens the tomato ain't tried it myself but might give it a go and see
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

maureen.alder.9

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2015, 19:39:46 »
thanks for the info glad that it is nothing serious

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2015, 16:44:11 »
If you see a farmer making silage, grab his empty containers there will be enough residue to water down for toms. Offer to buy some even it won't be anything like the price mentioned earlier. The horsey set always pay four times too much for anything.

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
    • http://www.freewebs.com/alanparkin/index.htm
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 22:08:20 »
I have 12 tomato plants in a small polytunnel  6 have been fed with baking powder once a week and I have been picking ripe toms for 2 weeks, the other six have yet to produce ripe toms.

Just thought I would share this experiment with you.

Alan
Just one more polytunnel, just one more chicken coop.
Just one more allotment.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 22:41:40 »
I have 12 tomato plants in a small polytunnel  6 have been fed with baking powder once a week and I have been picking ripe toms for 2 weeks, the other six have yet to produce ripe toms.

Just thought I would share this experiment with you.

Alan

Thanks Alan, how much do you use per plant?

AlanP

• Half Acre
  • Willy Nelson
    • http://www.freewebs.com/alanparkin/index.htm
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2015, 00:18:54 »
one teaspoon in a watering can once a week between four plants, worth a try

Alan 
Just one more polytunnel, just one more chicken coop.
Just one more allotment.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal