Author Topic: What size to plant out squashes & pumpkins.  (Read 2723 times)

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
What size to plant out squashes & pumpkins.
« on: May 26, 2015, 22:58:10 »
I have a dilemma! We are going away for 2 week next week and my squashes & pumpkins have just started to produce their first true leaves. Dare I put them out on my plot - in some good compost in the ground? Or shall I try and rig up a watering system to keep them going while I am away (that has had variable success in the past!)

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: What size to plant out squashes & pumpkins.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 06:37:39 »
Plant them out, with moderate protection, especially from molluscs, the worst of winter is past, its summer to worry about now! Enjoy the holiday, whatever that is.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 07:27:30 »
put them out on a bit of a mound then make a moat around them and water the moat well. I put mine out yesterday and the weather was just right

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 08:36:19 »
A large bottle (2litre soft drink or a large spring water bottle) with base cut off and lid removed, then pushed into the soil around the plant.  This protects from slugs who can eat a whole small squash plant overnight and also protects from late frosts.  Squash plants suffer when it is not even down to freezing.  Less than 4C and they really don't like it, even if there is no actual frost.  The bottles help a lot and if real frost is forecast, then you can drape fleece over the bottles for double protection. 

Your plants are still very small.  Personally I'd grow them on a bit more, but if that is not really an option, plant and protect.

I have planted a few squashes, but thought about their location - plot microclimate - some of my areas are more frost prone than others.  I also place compost daleks on the actual growing area.  This makes spreading compost much easier and in this case as they were recently filled and are still pretty warm, they should give the squashes next to them a bit of extra protection and warmth.  You may have warm spots in the garden that are beneficial for squash.   :wave:

Enjoy your time away.  Should the worst happen, it is not too late to start again after you return.  But I hope you return and be amazed at how well your little plants have done   :sunny:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 08:38:03 by galina »

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 21:50:17 »
Well I have decided to go for it and plant them out on the plot. I grew them in roottrainers and they already have a good root system even if the top is smaller than I would have hoped. Also with roottrainers I should have minimal root disturbance when I put them in. I will repost when I get home from my holiday and let you know how they faired!

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 00:19:45 »
Yeah, let us know how they get on!

I took a risk and planted most of mine out in straw bales this week - the ones that have two or three true leaves anyway. I figure that the straw will give them some insulation.

strawberry1

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2015, 08:23:34 »
Mine have been out a week now, windy and  rainy and they all look fine. They will certainly benefit from the forthcoming warmer weather as their roots will be getting established now. I am including courgette and cucumber as well as my squash

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 08:24:36 »
Are you back Pigman?  How are they looking.  Hope all went well   :wave:

George the Pigman

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2015, 22:28:22 »
Well I lost two butternut squash plants and one outdoor cucumber but that's all. They were tiddlers so that was
not unexpected. Not bad at all given there wasn't a huge amount of rain.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2015, 23:30:47 »
Sounds like that went better than expected for you,   :icon_cheers:  and hope the holiday was great too.   :wave:

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal