Author Topic: Perennial spinach  (Read 1678 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Perennial spinach
« on: May 25, 2015, 17:02:43 »
My perennial spinach is going to seed and I've got some new baby plants ready to go in. But when I cut the old plants down, planning to dig them up, they have a lot of new leaves at the bottom. Is it worth leaving them in?

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Re: Perennial spinach
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 20:05:10 »
My knowledge of spinach is limited.

I have never heard of perennial spinach I only know of the annual type which has a habit of running to seed so it is usual to sow a little often.

I would leave a few of the existing plants in place and see what comes of them in terms of texture and taste, as I have a feeling that it is these leaves that make this variety " perennial"

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 21:33:54 »
If you have perpetual spinach beet, then you will find that if cut back,leaving 5-10cm above the root top, they will send up new leaf  shoots, but probably also a new seed head! I top mine with a swap hook, similarly chard and sometimes beetroot if requiring baby leaf from overwintered stunted beet (from "too-late sowings")
If its New Zealand 'spinach', then beyond my experience.
The same technique also gives results with annual spinach, but the more delicate trimming with scissors or sheep shears leaves them still planted!
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 21:51:11 »
In typical T&M style, the packet just says "Spinach perpetual", but I think it is spinach beet. I'll leave it and see what happens but plant a few new ones as well.

titus a duxas

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2015, 08:36:57 »
For me this works the best for perennial spinach
I sow a row early in spring time then use the thinings as salad greens or for stir frying leaving the plants 10 inches apart
Cropping until autumn all are removed and composted apart from 6 as it gets colder the bolting seems to arrest
These 6 are then cloched which will provide early pickings in the winter-times

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal