Author Topic: Leeks  (Read 2598 times)

ber77tie

• Half Acre
Leeks
« on: May 23, 2015, 21:00:02 »
I am hoping to grow some good leeks this year.What is the best way to get a good white stem.I have seen adding more soil mentioned or using a collar,but what is the best method please?(if it is the collar ,what are they made of)

Bill Door

• Acre
  • Calne Wilts The builders put down clayish soil
Re: Leeks
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 21:52:56 »
Well when the are "pencil" size I usually poke a hole in the ground and make sure it is fairly wide (wiggle the "dibber") and deep enough.  Drop the leek in and then pour water from a watering can into the hole and leave well alone until the leeks are big enough.  Make sure that the soil around the leeks is fairly solid, otherwise the hole might fall in.

I don't use any collars and I do not bank up the leeks as they grow.  I would add that when I cook the leeks I make sure that there is plenty of green in the mix.  I think (and I could be wrong) that the green bit gives more taste/flavour.

Bill

P.S.  if you like/love leeks then you will find that you never grow enough!

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 22:31:47 »
Well first of all you need to grow the right type!

The next thing is variety , some varieties are better than others!

The top growers usually grow from selected seed or pips.

There are many methods to blanching and the best usually entail mechanically excluding light from the stem above ground rather than covering below the ground.

Some people use pipes, others use pipe insulation or bituminous paper.

So any means of covering the stem is paramount.

Then there are the leaves these should not be allowed to break as this reduces the flow of chlorophyll and beneficial nutrients.

Top growers drape the leaves on horizontal wire/ cord  to ensure they don't crease and keep them exposed to maximum light again to aid the feeding process.

You are probably are aware of these methods, and don't want to go down that route but you will still need the three principle rules.

1) exclude light from the stem.

2) ensure the leaves are not broken and get maximum light.

3) employ a good feeding regime.

Providing you are growing a ' blanching' variety you should get some quite good results.

I hope that helps!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2015, 09:43:48 »
If your desire for white stems is purely for eating purposes....'pot leaks' have lot of potential 'tender' stem area,though you would still benefit with collars to get best out of them.
Then there is some varieties that have potential to grow extra tall..particularly the stem. I've tried those couple of times but didn't manage them to grow that much taller than 'normal' leeks..supposed there is knack of it for growing those varieties, but I haven't practices enough to master it....yet... :glasses9:

Marlborough

• Half Acre
    • Marlborough
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2015, 10:57:25 »
Hi ber77tie, have a look at allotment diaries on you tube. The guy on there gives some great tips on growing leeks,hope this helps.  :wave:
Paul

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2015, 12:49:16 »
I grow mine exactly as Bill Door said, including eating a good part of the green.  But for competition growing it is a different matter.   :happy7:

ber77tie

• Half Acre
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2015, 20:52:31 »
Many thanks for all your tips as usual. I think I will put some collars on and hopefully have some good leeks.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal