Author Topic: Borlotti beans  (Read 2460 times)

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
Borlotti beans
« on: May 20, 2015, 13:01:58 »
hi all

I got a handful of these in an exchange and like Jack of the Beanstalk fame I am not sure if they are a climber or a dwarf variety.

Do I treat them like runner beans or French beans?

Similarly when eating them do you eat them like French or runner beans or she'll them like broad beans.

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to end up like Jack :drunken_smilie:

gray1720

• Hectare
Re: Borlotti beans
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 14:26:42 »
Awkward question, because there are both climbing and dwarf varieties. Eating is easier - treat as a dwarf/runner, or leave on the plant to dry for haricots in the winter.

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 15:44:28 »
I was under the impression that there were different varieties of borlotti beans - some of which were climbers and some of which were dwarfs.  The first type I grew (can't remember the name) wouldn't go over 3' whereas the Lamon I'm growing this year say they get to about 6'

I think they're best saved to eat the whole beans when mature - you can have them fresh from the pods or dry them for great winter beans.

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 16:07:12 »
I don't know if this picture is any use TG but here it is .... bog standard dwarf and climbing borlotti seeds side by side - the climbers are definitely bigger and rounder.... better eating as beans, the pods didn't look that appetising to me.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 16:13:52 »
Based on the picture I think I might have the dwarf variety!

I only have five or six plants so what I did when I planted them was to place them at the end of the bed.

Then this way I can add support if I find that they are climbers!

Will wait to see what the pods look like like when ready to harvest then take it from there.

Thank to all of you for your replies!

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 12:32:12 »
Based on the picture I think I might have the dwarf variety!

I only have five or six plants so what I did when I planted them was to place them at the end of the bed.

Then this way I can add support if I find that they are climbers!

Will wait to see what the pods look like like when ready to harvest then take it from there.

Thank to all of you for your replies!

Yes, it is easy to add in extra tall sticks.  If you start off with a 7ft wigwam, not realising that the beans from the swap were dwarfs, like I have done - well I did look a right Charlie  :BangHead:   :sunny:

But it sometimes happens with beans that are from unknown sources like a swap.  When we grow them again from our own seeds, we know.

I love this type of bean because at the end of the season (but before they have dried) I harvest the pods with plump beans and stick the beans in the freezer.  No putting into water and reconstituting needed.  When I make spaghetti sauce, a handful comes out of the freezer and gets cooked for at least 10 minutes in the tomato sauce and they are as good as freshly harvested.  Hope you like them. 

chriscross1966

• Hectare
  • Visionhairy
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 13:36:11 »
With Galina on this, I grow a lot (25+ varieties) of shelling french bean and my normal technique is to let the first few pods dry out on the plant, but that gives me a chance to note the point when the pods go slightly leathery... that's the point to havest the rest and just tip them into the freezer.... I'm growing Borlotti this year though I haven't for a few years but realised that the last time I grew it I was on a different site.... I find it is quite a long-season plant and although the crop can be huge if it gets decent conditions in September/October there are plenty of earlier season alternatives. If you want a rose bean (like borlotti) then I'd recommend Bridgewater, Polish Climber, or Bird Egg, probably in that order. Polish is the earliest, but doesn't crop as well as Bridgewater in my experience, Bird Egg is a slightly bigger bean but a bit later, though not as late as Borlotti. Other good shelling beans would be San Antonio (a climbing rather plumper "Soldier" type), Cherokee Trail of Tears (a black kidney bean), Bosnian Black-Seeded Greenpod (climbing turtle bean), Neabel's Ukrainian (a piebald kidney bean) and Giganda (not a french bean, but a runner bean grown for the massive white seeds in the pods, don't grow it near runner beans they'll cross pollinate and next year you'll have ruined both your seed strains)... there are loads of others, if you like canellini for instance then Blue Lake left to ripen up is brilliant, and there are any number of dwarfs that crop OK-ish...

chrisc

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal