Author Topic: Need advice re debris netting  (Read 8385 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Need advice re debris netting
« on: May 02, 2015, 17:28:55 »
I have one piece of blue which I was given and it is propped up on six 2x1 posts.  I am well impress the brassicas are loving it.  It was surprisingly easy to insert the posts and they seem very solid.  Thought I was going to have to build a cage.  Keeps off the wind and the frost.  Not sure the posts will stay put in wet weather.

I have decided to get some more.  I am thinking 3 metres wide, so one up, one across, one down.  or is 2 metre good enough.  How much do I need?  50 metres is twice the price of 20, Blue looks quite nice but what colour is best?

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
Re: Need advice re debris netting
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2015, 20:12:00 »
I have been using 3metre wide white debris netting for a few years now over a lot of veggies - carrots, beetroot, cabbage etc, especially early in the year.   I have always left it over the carrots for the season to keep the carrot fly out and have had no problems at all.   I have never tried blue but a lot of people on our site use green and don't seem to get any problems.   The only other problem that someone pointed out is that on some debris netting there are some holes about an inch long where some bugs could get in and it was suggested to me that if that became a problem, thread some fine fishing line through to seal the hole.

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2015, 21:24:28 »
I was given a roll of 2mx50m green by a lapsed hen keeper. This has been laced together along the slotted holes to increase the width, with nortene string. The only problem has been chafing  on the posts. This is swiftly remedied by the tying on of a 3" plastic pot to the post top. Slight damage repairs by sewing across with the string.
Mine is facing its 4th year now and looks as if its got some life left yet. I have had the odd butterfly find its way in, but they cant find a way out!
No caterpillars found at all under this barrier. It acts as a micro-climate, it feels warmer inside when working beneath, possible by using a 6ft cane with a pot on top to prop up and create headroom. Bottom anchorage is provided by tying in house bricks at intervals, doubling as slug traps.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2015, 21:37:55 »
Many thanks for your replies.  Not found much white for sale.  I can easily put some plastic pots on top of the posts.

Not so much trouble with caterpillars last year.  More problem with deer and pigeons.  The wind break situation is very pleasing, it might be a good idea right along one side of the plot.

Is 3 metres wide enough or is double 2m better?  That would be one up, two across and one down.  But would need stitching together.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 21:43:59 »
I'm pleased that site members are finding debris netting so useful. I love the stuff, bought a roll and made a cage which I posted a pic. on the site last year. It has stood all the gales so far but I must admit it is placed in fairly sheltered position and the support posts are 3" round by 6' with sharpened ends from local agricultural merchant(not expensive). I fixed lengths of plastic ducting, stiffened the ducting with stout bamboo, ducting from Wykes, using their 90' bends and plastic straps to screw to the post tops. It all sounds pricy but I haven't had one cabbage white last season and as we are plagued with sky rats it was all worth while and will last for years.
The only problem that may occur is snow but we rarely get that anyway.
Digaroo, 50m should do.
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

MervF

• Half Acre
  • Poole, Dorset
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 22:19:30 »
I forgot to say that I use blue water pipe for hoops 2 metres long, put the open ends on small dowelling or offcuts of copper pipe if you know a friendly plumber.   I then weigh down each side with whatever is to hand and drape the ends of the netting with bricks or wooden blocks.   The only problem I have had is a rat sometimes gnaws a bit of a hole in it but it can usually be repaired with a bit of fine fishing line.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 00:50:08 »
What difference does the colour make?

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 07:43:06 »

They must have regional variations- I only ever see green and yellow around here!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2015, 08:14:38 »
We do not get much snow, but when we do the deer really go for anything sticking about the whiteness.

Good question.   Answers would be most welcome.

People on our site seem to have blue, presume they got it free. 

I am not allowed anything as tall as  6' though I suppose more than a foot goes into the ground.  Presume it also has to be moved every year for crop rotation.

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2015, 11:46:16 »
Black is less visible than green, oddly! Maybe though, if it is in big quantities you won't not see it!!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 11:50:26 »
scaffold direct sell white 3 mt x50 mt i find the 3 meter allows you make higher covers for tall plants such as sprouts and white bounces the light around so the plants dont go leggy hope this helps
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

steve1967

• Half Acre
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 12:55:11 »
scaffold direct sell white 3 mt x50 mt i find the 3 meter allows you make higher covers for tall plants such as sprouts and white bounces the light around so the plants dont go leggy hope this helps

Hi this was my only concern was that enough light got through to stop plants getting leggy. This is far cheaper than the butterfly protection netting from horticultural sellers.

Has anyone found the light levels to be a problem? Also rain penetration?

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 17:07:46 »
scaffold direct sell white 3 mt x50 mt i find the 3 meter allows you make higher covers for tall plants such as sprouts and white bounces the light around so the plants don't go leggy hope this helps

Hi this was my only concern was that enough light got through to stop plants getting leggy. This is far cheaper than the butterfly protection netting from horticultural sellers.

Has anyone found the light levels to be a problem? Also rain penetration?
not had a problem so far and have been using it for 5 years now

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2015, 18:47:59 »
If there is any less light is seems to be well balanced by the wind protection.  Crops under debris netting seem to look very good.  Next allotment has brilliant purple sprouting, very jealous, and they did not eat any of it.  Grrrr.  Mine was pathetic, so very frustrated see it going to waste.

pumkinlover

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 08:10:37 »
If there is any less light is seems to be well balanced by the wind protection.  Crops under debris netting seem to look very good.  Next allotment has brilliant purple sprouting, very jealous, and they did not eat any of it.  Grrrr.  Mine was pathetic, so very frustrated see it going to waste.
That's annoying.
Thanks for info johnnyco15 Worth a look at getting some.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2015, 08:16:13 »
What weight netting is everybody using?  There seem to be at least 2 different weights.

squeezyjohn

• Hectare
  • Oxfordshire - Sandy loam on top of clay
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2015, 09:31:06 »
I absolutely agree that the shelter the debris netting gives the plants a great advantage over those planted in the open especially when they're small.  And for the main part the protection given to older plants from pigeons, rabbits and deer is very good too.  I would not be able to grow brassicas on my site without my nets!

However - it's not failsafe!  Last winter my purple sprouting was massacred by what I assume were rats.  If you use it as protection then you have to make absolutely sure that the nets are properly weighed down as strong winds can let things in!  Also it has not completely stopped cabbage white caterpillars on my crops as the butterflies are very determined and lay through the nets on any leaf that touches the edge.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 11:02:56 »
Lots of great advice.  50 metres is on its way.  I am determined to have good purple sprouting again.  First year the pigeons had not found us and it was fantastic.   Hope it last longer than ikea curtains which are now rather holey though great for draping over things quickly. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2015, 13:50:25 »
On the door step this morning.  That was fast.  Off to lottie to install it.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2015, 19:19:22 »
great digeroo  i dont think i could garden without it used it today for a wind break for my runner beans  hope youget on well with it

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal