Author Topic: Crimson Crush plants give-away  (Read 18555 times)

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Crimson Crush plants give-away
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2015, 08:07:24 »
It seems to me that Crimson Crush has been bred just like any other F1 variety.  No mention of any lab gene manipulation unless I have missed something?  It says at the top

"Resistance genes were discovered in wild species of tomatoes.

These were transferred into our cultivated tomato species through conventional breeding methods."
I was answering Ellen's question about another tomato.  Nobody suggested that Crimson Crush is GM,  Ellen herself said that in her post and others have too.  Standard hybrid tomato and the hope is that with saving seeds from Crimson Crush,  the different resistance genes can be saved too.  :sunny:

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2015, 10:33:12 »
Just got mine, a bit pot bound I think but I'm very pleased ...

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2015, 11:01:30 »
Wow! they look strong healthy plants  :icon_cheers: - am waiting for the doorbell to ring to announce delivery of my order. I prepared a grow-bag for them yesterday - so that they can be planted up straight away :sunny:  :wave:

Tricia

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2015, 11:58:57 »
Wow - mine were nothing like that.  Didn't come in pots and were much smaller - basically a barely rooted side shoot which hadn't grown at all.

I was answering Ellen's question about another tomato.  Nobody suggested that Crimson Crush is GM,  Ellen herself said that in her post and others have too.  Standard hybrid tomato and the hope is that with saving seeds from Crimson Crush,  the different resistance genes can be saved too.  :sunny:

I was just responding to Tee Gee when he referred to "gene manipulation would have been done in 'lab' conditions "
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2015, 15:08:08 »
Delivered at 14:10, planted up by 14:30. The third one is in a pot in my mini GH.

Tricia

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2015, 17:20:44 »
Have just received mine much larger than I expected , but once they have straightened up they should be very good. Only postage to pay so cannot lose
Mine are from Suttons , I know more than one firm are offering plants.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
  • Huddersfield - Light humus rich soil
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2015, 19:16:07 »
On looking at Lauries, Ellen and Tricias plants compared to the ones I received has me wondering.

Did you three order from the link JayB posted? as it was linked to Dobies, or did you use a different link?

I know when I wrote to Dobies I got a reply back from Suttons ???? which suggested to me that Suttons actually own Dobies, but Dobies trade under their original name for the goodwill of their loyal customers.

But what gets me is: who owns who?

I also understand that D T Browns is part of Fothergills, and Chempak is part of T&M.

Leisure Gardeners is part of Kings so is it any wonder why the price of seeds is going up when you consider all these monopolies that are popping up.

The top two plants at the back in the picture below are my Crimson Crush. (3rd & 4th from front)

I noticed today that they seem to be taking off and throwing new foliage so the next thing I am expecting from the members is:

Who picked the first fruit. :icon_cheers:

Who picked the largest/heaviest fruit. :blob7:

Who got the largest crop ? :glasses9:

But most of all did any plants suffer from blight. :BangHead:

At least it is something to look forward to!

tricia

• Hectare
  • Torbay, Devon
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2015, 19:40:25 »
I ordered through Suttons using the code Ellenk posted. The plants are far more vigorous than any of my own grown from seed! I hope they will live up to all the hype! We shall see???

Tricia  :wave:

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2015, 21:30:01 »
I ordered from a Suttons advert in my email looking carefully at them I think mine are grafted plants as there is a definite change in growth just above soil  level.

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2015, 22:20:14 »
I think mine are grafted plants as there is a definite change in growth just above soil  level.

That plant on the right of your picture certainly look like it grafted.

The stem is bent about an inch above the soil where possibly the stem was spliced/ grafted into the rootstock.

I am wondering if Sutton's / Dobies are experimenting with producing both grafted and plants from cuttings in case when they start selling seeds they find the resulting plants do not come true to type meaning they will have to produce these Blight resistant plants vegetatively .

They are asking for feedback so are we all part of a nation wide experiment?

It would seem the plants that A4A members are working OK and we are going to get fruit but will we get viable seeds with the same blight resistance?

Only time will tell!

Let me apologise for being so suspicious but I was brought up to believe that " nothing is really free"

Let's hope in this case I am wrong and we all have an abundance of seeds that produce plants with the desired resistance next year

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2015, 07:58:20 »
Nice looking plants from Suttons  :happy7:

I wonder if the plants themselves have been used for cuttings rather than grafted?

If seeds were in very short supply this year and they wanted to go ahead with offering Crimson Crush for the start of this season then cuttings would have been the only way.

Tee Gee, Suttons have stated Crimson Crush is an F1 variety, also in an email they confirmed seeds will be available in the Autumn for the 2016 catalogue.
No feedback was asked for when I bought plants from Suttons earlier on, perhaps Dobies wanted constructive feedback about Crimson Crush's performance from allotmenteers?
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

Ellen K

• Hectare
  • Loughborough, Leicestershire
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2015, 08:24:33 »
http://www.suttons.co.uk/suttons+crimson+crush+feedback.htm?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_term=&utm_content=link&utm_campaign=22.05.15%20-%20Bank%20Holiday%20Offers

^^ this is the link from Suttons offer email to send in your feedback.

Looking at my plants, yes you could convince yourself they're grafted but I haven't seen enough grafted plants to be sure.  But also they have mighty fine strong looking stems for plants that size which points to grafts.  What JayB said: Possibly the growers had a collection of grafted plants to harvest cuttings and these are the surplus.

Whatever, I am really pleased with mine and can't see that Suttons made any money on the deal so you can't say they are a ripoff or a deception.  If they are grafts well even better IMHO.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 08:29:18 by Ellen K »

amphibian

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2015, 13:18:02 »
I'm not sure they're grafter or simply initially grown as two stems with one removed to provide cuttings as supplied.

I have both dobies and suttons plants, my dobies ones were cuttings and my Sutton's ones great big healthy plants.

odd that dobies are asking for feedback on a plant Sutton's has already declared teh best thing since sliced bread and is selling!?

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2015, 16:41:47 »
i received 2 and they were tiny

Tee Gee

• Hectare
    • The Gardener's Almanac
« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2015, 17:24:00 »
Question?

These plants are said to be blight resistant....how can we tell?

As I see it we have to have other plants along side them in the hope that the others catch blight!!!!

Then if the Crimson Crush plants don't catch it, then they come up to expectations but at a price...........we lose the others!

A bit drastic that I think.

Then the reverse is true and that is if the other plants do not catch blight, suggesting that we are having a blight free year. then we do not know if the Crimson Crush are as immune as they are made out to be!

So we have a catch 22 situation!!!

Personally I don't want blight at all, so may I suggest that we compare notes at the end of the season to see what happens with those people that are unlucky enough to catch blight.

What will also be interesting is: how will those with the big plants or the little plants fare at the end of the day.

Then I suppose you have  to consider if the are grown inside or out.

So it is diaries and cameras at the ready guys and then we can get our own feedback.

What do you all think?

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2015, 19:31:29 »
TeeGee....I agree with you...more we swap notes and more CC is grown in different situations, better the idea how tough blight fighter the variety is.

I wish now that I wouldn't given the other plant away... :BangHead:
I planted mine in GH where I rarely get any blight on my toms anyway... :BangHead:
BUT...I will root one side shoot as new ones appear and plant that outside..not so much for the fruit, but just to see how the plant cope outdoors if we get hit with blight...I have some other varieties of tomatoes planted outside and those WILL get blight if it is around...or should I say 'when the blight will arrive'.

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2015, 19:44:46 »
So it is diaries and cameras at the ready guys and then we can get our own feedback.

What do you all think?

I think it will be great to get feedback on how others have found Crimson Crush. I started another thread earlier in the year I was hoping it could be used for comparing results.  http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/smf/index.php/topic,78780.msg797728.html#msg797728

There was also another blight resistant seed giveaway and several people were lucky enough to recieve seeds, so between us all we should have a fair number of 'blight' resistant tomato varieties. I'm also growing Mountain Magic this year.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal