Author Topic: Autumn sown broad beans  (Read 2896 times)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
Autumn sown broad beans
« on: April 29, 2015, 09:32:39 »
There are often chats about sowing broad beans I the autumn, I went to my plot this morning and my Aqaudulce are full of flowers they were sown in October.

artichoke

• Hectare
Re: Autumn sown broad beans
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 09:51:13 »
Mine have also survived the winter and are flowering profusely, but I have to admit yours look better - many of mine have stems blackened by frost and rather twisted, but so far that does not seem to be bothering them....

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 14:21:37 »
I have tried autumn sowing several times - just no good here - but my very early spring sown ones now have buds.  I look every day whether they are open and they aren't yet, but only a matter of a few days.

So, whilst I am very envious LaurieUK, and yours do look a picture  :icon_cheers:, February in modules is also a good time to start them for those of us whose fingers might not be quite as green.

Lovely photo   :wave:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 16:20:49 »
I planted mine last October, first crop to go in the new allotment and I needed to start planting something. Been flowering the last 3 weeks but they seemed to have slowed down in regards pods starting to grow. The bees were busy back then, so it must have been the dry spell that set them back. I just looked  back and they were flowering on the 11th of march. They were 18 inch  plants then and have since raised their heads another foot, so perhaps they were putting all the energy into growing.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2015, 16:28:34 by ACE »

brownthumb2015

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 17:03:00 »
 I have bean envy  mine was planted on the 21st of march and now only about two inches high but looking  strong which  they need to be as on a windy site

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2015, 18:27:00 »
I have bean envy  mine was planted on the 21st of march and now only about two inches high but looking  strong which  they need to be as on a windy site

Mine were February sown and the  first flowers are now open.  Lovely sight and perfume.   Your's won't be long behind either. 

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 20:59:21 »
Only two of my autumn ones survived and they are looking very miserable the Feb sown ones have overtaken them, just beginning to flower.  Bees seem very happy.
Just planted out my fourth chitted batch and taken the bottle off the previous batch.

However some of my Wizard are looking brilliant.  Some of the plants are 4 feet tall and have four or five wands of flowers.  Some are pretty pink though some are rather shy on the flower front, it is difficult to see them as one variety.  I will select the best for next year.  They were sown at intervals between October and November and some batches are doing better than others, not clear why. 

Not sure if the whole plant is covered in beans that they will be able to support it with eight or more raceme of flowers if they all set.

sparrow

• Acre
    • mudandgluts
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2015, 23:13:45 »
I have about 50 autumn sown ones, now all about 3ft high and covered in flowers/beanlings & needing more support from the wind. But they suffered to get to this point. I had to stake them all as I sowed too early and winter was mild. The bottom of most of the older stems is black and twisted. I also used fairly young blackthorn as stakes and some of those have rooted. Oh joy!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal