Author Topic: New Allotment  (Read 3387 times)

Wkd

New Allotment
« on: April 27, 2015, 11:26:19 »
I've recently got an allotment and my problem is, the previous owner put carpet down to reduce the weeds on it, but now some weeds have grown through the carpet making it hard to pull up, I'm thinking of putting raised beds about 6+inches deep on top of the carpet, being a newbie, I don't know if this is a good idea or not, any input would be greatly appreciated.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
Re: New Allotment
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 13:34:59 »
Hi

Using carpet is a pretty difficult one some people swear by it others think its poison.

Personally it sounds like the carpet has lost its effectiveness and you need to try and pull this up. Appreciate this is going to take time and if you want to do down the raised bed route you may need. Maybe if you can clear half the plot now and work your way though?

I would encourage you to get the woven membrane and to put down 2 layers i made my beds on the membrane and cut this inside the beds and panel pinned this up inside the raised beds as extra protection. Depending on how deep your beds are you could also looking at adding a wicking system to assist with periods when your not on the plot during very hot days.

I know you want to get going but taking your time now and doing it right will save you a lot of effort in the future.

Cam

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 15:41:36 »
Adding to previous reply...if there is weeds growing through the carpet, they will be persistent enough to carry on growing through the soil level in your new beds.
Without knowing what weeds they might be...my suggestion is to go about it hard way and get the carpet up, digging up what weeds you can and then start thinking how to approach building the new beds.
Raised beds are brilliant thing, and perennial weeds think so too....so doing things thoroughly and even if it takes lot of work and is slow progress, it really is important, and it will help you avoid lot of problems in long run.

BTW...welcome on board :wave:

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 19:20:12 »
id take the carpet up then dig the roots out before i put the membrane down did this last year when i got half a plot of weeds now its full of fruit nearly not a weed in sight hope you enjoy the site happy gardening ps this is now the half plot one year on
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 20:35:09 »
Personally, and this might not be universally popular here, I would treat with a glysophate compound and wait the recommended period. If the carpet backing is synthetic(polypropylene) then it must be removed as its toxic and a total menace to any form of cultivation. If by good fortune the backing is jute(natural string) then its probably already decaying and could be left in a raised bed, although you might struggle to plant through it. Once the weeds are dead, you may be able to prise off enough , or to plant  plants through it for many crops. Seed beds upon the topsoil if buried deeply.
Alternatively, if you can muster the muscle power, (rugby club friends? ) armed with a scaffold pole, wrap sufficient carpet along to get purchase and then (simply!) heave. Do not expect to get it off for Ebay!
Remember, Rome was not built in a day (if you've been there, you will know they have not yet finished). Plant whatever you can, work on the remainder piecemeal and get a scheme in place. Not all your crops are planted at once.

Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

picman

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 23:08:07 »
Carpet  :BangHead: is a no no on allotments.. since it was made fire retardant is has really nasty chemicals in it like Antimony (poisonous) these can leach into soil , take it to the tip, do not burn ... 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2015, 14:21:23 »
Carpet can be a nightmare. I had a lot of decaying carpet on my plot when I took it over; the hessian backing had rotted, and the remaining artificial fibre was deeply embedded in couch turf. It took me ages to get that lot out.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal