Author Topic: Here's the plan  (Read 5069 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Here's the plan
« on: April 26, 2015, 16:04:03 »
The new plot was so grown in I have a heap of grass tussocks and weeds that go right across the top of the plot about 3 foot high. Thinking about what I can do with it as bonfires are out unless the wind is blowing across the fields. I came up with the idea of covering it with a black plastic sheet and sinking some large pots through holes in the plastic which will be planted with courgettes, ridge cucumbers and squash plants. My thinking is the rubbish breaking down will warm the pots and plant roots and the plants can ramble where they want.

Somebody on here can tell me if this will work or not. I know the heap will gradually sink but I can work with that and feed the pots when watering. It ain't going to cost as the drilled Morrison buckets will be big enough and I still have rolls of plastic sheeting that was left on my other plot.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Here's the plan
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 18:20:26 »
It could/should work out and it certainly sounds very good idea...not a weed wasted.. :icon_cheers:
Though I would still sprinkle good doze of BFB meal over the heap and give it a good soaking before putting the plastic down...have a good drink and do bit of 'personal watering' too...all that would kick start the 'heating up' if anything :icon_thumleft:

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 18:38:12 »
Could you explain why your plants will be in pots, rather than in deep manured holes dug through the heavy plastic? I was thinking they would need a lot of watering if in pots.

Could you cut a large cross in the plastic and weight the flaps back while you prepared the planting station, put the plant in, and weight the flaps back in place (or use small ground staples) so that none of the weeds surfaced again?

I did something similar last year, and was very pleased with the way the plants spread across the ugly covering, looking green and productive (and I'm still using the beautiful winter squashes that resulted)..

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 19:03:53 »
Artichoke, more than likely I will cut the bottoms off of the pots which will be used to stop the growing medium from falling away as the mound starts to shrink. They are freebies anyway. For those that never joined in the debate a few years ago these are the black flower buckets that supermarkets give away or sell 10 for a £1. Just ask  they are glad to get rid of them.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 19:21:01 »
I agree with artichoke would also plant the courgettes and squash in the ground.  Maybe even  dig a large hole and bury all the mess.  The courgettes and squash will deal with it.  They like a lot of water and not keen on windy conditions so would put the weed pile on the westward side.    A flower bucket is not big enough as far as I am concerned for a courgette or squash plant.  I give mine a full bucketful of manure or compost and another as mulch later in the season.  If you get trailing squash they will ramble over the mess,

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 12:27:24 »
...have a good drink and do bit of 'personal watering' too...

It would have to be a good drink. 8 cubic metres and growing. I would have to invite friends and have a good  p!ss up.

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 13:23:38 »
sounds like a good plan

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 14:38:00 »

It would have to be a good drink. 8 cubic metres and growing. I would have to invite friends and have a good  p!ss up.

Ah...it will give you something to do... :tongue3:  Just warn all the ladies to keep away on the day and you could turn it into p***up match between you and your friends.. :toothy10: :icon_cheers:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 14:39:38 by goodlife »

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 16:15:12 »
Just ask  they are glad to get rid of them.

I asked at the Co-Op and they looked at me like I was mental - basically told me to f off!
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 16:23:29 »

I asked at the Co-Op and they looked at me like I was mental - basically told me to f off!

Morrisons seems the best place to go They say they are 9 for a pound but I got 21 for £2.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 20:59:54 »

Ah...it will give you something to do... :tongue3:  Just warn all the ladies to keep away on the day and you could turn it into p***up match between you and your friends.. :toothy10: :icon_cheers:

Hey, I can do "watering" too... I just have to do it in a jug first. ;)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 21:07:40 »
Morrisons on the island, all my apple, pear trees from there and plastic buckets will be moving next year maybe.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2015, 08:37:58 »

Morrisons seems the best place to go They say they are 9 for a pound but I got 21 for £2.
Our local lidl saved me all their spare buckets and 'blue' mushroom trays last year. I did little bit shopping there once a week and collected car load of 'freebies' in same time  :icon_cheers: In the end I ended giving 'tons' away..I had much more than I would need.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2015, 08:40:49 »

Hey, I can do "watering" too... I just have to do it in a jug first. ;)

:laughing7: ...indeed....I tend to do 'Ratcliff' when there is absolutely no chance that anybody would see me.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal