Author Topic: Fed up with my allotment and seeds  (Read 3100 times)

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
Fed up with my allotment and seeds
« on: April 25, 2015, 19:10:47 »
I feel that the allotments is getting too much for me.  Loads of grass and mares tail growing.  All the seeds that I planted haven't come up, apart from sweet peas.
Maybe this will be the last year for me.  But the good news is I have so many allotment friends, and birds.  Also the fruit bushes and trees are doing well, the strawberries are flowering, so hopefully will get some produce this year.  Didn't think I was getting old, but maybe a bigger garden would be enough for me next year.  Have had 11 years of enjoyment, since I retired, but it is hard work.

ACE

• Hectare
Re: Fed up with my allotment and seeds
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 19:49:56 »
I don't know if it is against your site rules, but how about sharing with somebody who needs a bit more growing area than they have got.  The health and wellbeing, plus a bit of a chat with somebody outside of your homelife is worth keeping your lottie for.  I've only been back in fold about 6 months, don't know what I would do without it. Alright, it forces me out, but once there I loose all track of time.

amphibian

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 10:20:35 »
I've had exceptionally poor germination this year too.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 13:48:13 »
I agree with Ace.  Hang on if you can either by sharing or else covering the parts you can't get to just now with some cardboard held down with stones so the weeds can't grow.  The cardboard will eventually rot down and add to the soil structure whilst giving you time to catch up without pressure.   

I have given up sowing seeds direct because it's too unpredictable - temperature/rainfall/winds and frost and all those weed seeds to contend with.  I now do everything in cells or small pots or small trays with thinly scattered seed so pricking is easy and plant them out when they're big enough to cope.
Obxx - Vendée France

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2015, 15:23:23 »
Only you know if the allotments malarkey is too much for you...but I agree with others, hang on...we all have bad years and feel like giving in. Maybe you just have to start thinking looking after the plot in different manner than you have used to, could there be way doing it that doesn't take too much out of you?
Could you bribe somebody to do few 'bit and bobs' for you? Maybe it is time to play that 'poor little old lady card'..people just can't resist helping you out.. :tongue3: :icon_cheers:

Borlotti

• Hectare
  • Ryde
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2015, 16:26:21 »
Might be moving next year so maybe a big established garden greenhouse would be good. Allotment has been great as no real garden here. Looking at the isle of wight, but who knows. Might have to buy some plug plants this year, even my courgettes havent grown, but did have too many lastyear.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2015, 19:56:59 »
Isle of Wight! Have you gone daft in the head. All the public toilets have closed, you need a mortgage for the ferry fares, the place is sliding into the sea. But you should fit in over in the West Wight if you can play the banjo, they still stone missionaries over that way.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal