Author Topic: Amaranthus - Pony Tails  (Read 1738 times)

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Amaranthus - Pony Tails
« on: April 24, 2015, 11:09:12 »
I have tried growing these from seed for the first time this year. but i am having problems with them. They germinated fine (a bit like cress really). I transplanted some of them into little pots and the rest into modules. I used clean pots/trays and fresh multipurpose compost with vermiculite added and they were given some bottom heat to get them established. This was nearly a month ago. within the first couple of weeks a few damped off but the rest seemed fine, they have grown slowly but healthily.

Recently though the problems have started. With the warm weather they have neded watering more frequently and several plantlets have been found colapsed after being watered directly. Overwatering perhaps, but the affected plants dont look too wet - just about right in fact yet they keeled over while their neighbours remain fine after being given similar amount of water. This has been going on for about a week now. Some have recovered but others keel over and slowly die. Strangely this has only happened with the plants in little pots (1.5 inch) the module growing ones seem fine. I have also tried bottom watering using capillary matting which seems to work better but i am still wary of 'killing with kindness', by giving them any water at all!!

Like most of my half hardy plants they are raised in my north facing double glazed conservatory, which is heated lightly overnight. Dont know if this is the right place for them or whether the green house would have been better laterly (although in recent days they probably would have fried in there).

Any help advice appreciated.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Amaranthus - Pony Tails
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2015, 13:27:19 »
Not sure they need lots of water.  I grew them one year in the front garden they were in a mixed packet of seeds and grew like weeds.  Never managed to repeat it.  It was rather odd because I sowed half the packet and got thousands of them, and sowed the other half and got none. 

I do like them.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
Re: Amaranthus - Pony Tails
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 20:05:49 »
Clearly they need hardly any water then. Never given even the collapsed  ones that much at any other news time and they still didn't like it.

The temptation is when something wilts is to water it but evidently sometimes this is the worst thing to do.

Not really sure what to do to stop it happening, let alone fix the plants that have been affected.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal