Author Topic: New plot update  (Read 4558 times)

Spireite

• Half Acre
New plot update
« on: April 22, 2015, 21:05:40 »
So after acquiring my new half plot in August last year....I then dislocated my knee in the October...so it wasn't cleared as much as I would have liked at the back end of last year.
 I started again this spring...trying to clear 2 large(ish) pumpkin patches.  I'm still working on the second patch.   Today I had another session on my first potato planting area.  Bindweed roots galore!!! Less to dig up next year. Just enough for maybe 2 rows of spuds!!  I'm also planning a small patch of sweetcorn and maybe some shallots....I'm struggling a bit trying to clear it all!!
N. Herts, just acquired first allotment in Aug 2014.

Spireite

• Half Acre
Re: New plot update
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 21:12:03 »

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2015, 12:55:08 »
Is that all yours? Good luck with it- bet you've been warm the last few days!

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2015, 14:27:19 »
Have you considered hiring a large petrol driven cultivator as a one off just to get it started? We did that when we took over a badly neglected plot and it was then a just case of clearing the weeds/grass before they recovered. On our daughter's council owned site, the Council came and did this before the plot was handed over if it was in a bad state.

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2015, 17:28:53 »
id scrape the top off with a spade its surprising how much you can get done like that then pile all the turfs upside down cover with a sheet and next year youll have nice compost  then dig it all taking the last of the roots out i wouldnt rotovate  weedy ground you will end up having weeds forever scalpe and dig would be my approach best of luck
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2015, 19:27:40 »
With the amount of roots I'm coming across I'm a bit reluctant to rotovate it... I don't want to chop the roots up for them ALL to sprout.  I am thinking of investing in a battery or petrol strimmer :)

One of the girls at my work just got her first allotment this week...for a fraction of what I'm paying...but I have running water...(we are in neighbouring counties!)

Just slow going.....I finished clearing the potato bed this evening....2 more beds and half a pumpkin patch to go!  ....and that will be just nearly half of my allotment 'utilised'...although I plan on letting the pumpkins to just roam and vine where they like !!!

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2015, 13:43:52 »
our site has no running water it has to be hand pumped into cans im the hieght of summer its like its a knockout water going everywhere on the other hand we own our own land so its very cheap £1.00 per rod so my 2 plots cost me £40 pound per year very cheap but water is a pain
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2015, 14:42:21 »

Just slow going.....I finished clearing the potato bed this evening....2 more beds and half a pumpkin patch to go!  ....and that will be just nearly half of my allotment 'utilised'...although I plan on letting the pumpkins to just roam and vine where they like !!!

You sound like you are making good progress...even it might not feel same for you. But what you have to tackle to start with...WELL DONE! You get there....bit by bit...and it is early in the year...plenty of time to dig and plant more... :icon_thumleft:

stella.harvey.5

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2015, 17:13:17 »
Can one still get an allotment? Would really enjoy growing my own crop this year!

stella.harvey.5

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2015, 17:24:55 »
Around birchwood or culcheth area
« Last Edit: April 25, 2015, 17:29:16 by stella.harvey.5 »

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2015, 17:25:39 »
Can one still get an allotment? Would really enjoy growing my own crop this year!

I cannot answer for the first question..it all depends what is available in your area and how they are handed out. On our site plots can come available any time of the year.
But should you get one this spring/summer...there is always something to grow and to crop...even if it is 'just' salad stuff at first.
Don't forget...during summer you can get some brassicas going that will yield next year...and in autumn you would be planting garlic...and later on winter onions...and...and...you can sow and grow 'stuff' almost all year round  :icon_cheers:
But you have to make move and start asking around available plots..

astraman1

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2015, 18:36:14 »
mines in a similar state i covered mine in black plastic and do abit at a time rolling it back dig it all out would not rotovate it with bindweed ect im not even going to consider a rotavator next year either till im on top of all the couch and bindweed

Spireite

• Half Acre
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2015, 22:26:08 »
mines in a similar state i covered mine in black plastic and do abit at a time rolling it back dig it all out would not rotovate it with bindweed ect im not even going to consider a rotavator next year either till im on top of all the couch and bindweed

Astraman....I think it will take me a year or 2 before the bindweed is a bit more under control.  I just think of it as less to dig out next year!

Paulh

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2015, 21:31:47 »
With bind weed, think about glyphosphate and then go chemical free afterwards!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal