Author Topic: Got another plot  (Read 5685 times)

ACE

• Hectare
Got another plot
« on: April 21, 2015, 17:13:05 »
As I was running out of room rapidly, I asked the committee if there was a chance of another plot. I did know there was a very overgrown one that nobody would take on. Just had a phonecall telling me it's mine and free rent this year as I would have to clear it. It will not be too bad. I reckon a week to a fortnight to clear it but I should have room to put up my pea sticks ready for the plants when the threat of frosts have gone.

I could put them in now as it is very unlikely in this neck of the woods now as the sea is warming and keeps the frost as a cold mist. I was getting worried about space, the greenhouse is full to the brim with seedlings, I suppose I got a bit too adventurous with the seeds.

goodlife

• Hectare
Re: Got another plot
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 17:26:20 »
 :laughing7:

...and island was taken over by ACE...plot by plot... :icon_cheers: You truly have been bitten by the allotment bug :toothy10:

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 17:53:29 »
It has only been the last 12 years I never had one. Mainly because I was away doing garden shows all the late spring and summer, then working the show plant nursery when I was at home. I had two plots when I was working full time as a gardener on the council right back to the early seventies, never found it a chore once the plot was cleared and full of crops. A bit of therapeutic hoeing was all that was needed to keep them up together. The autumn dig over might be a bit daunting for some but bit by bit ready for the next growing season is a good way of getting rid of the excess weight. I will struggle a bit with this gammy leg, but 'use it or lose it' is my motto now.

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 17:54:17 »
............ so the ones in charge of your allotment association gave you the special bean seeds and then another lot of bean seeds knowing you would run out of space - and they would get the eyesore cleared  :tongue3:

Good thinking  :BangHead:  When we took over our first allotment, I was told that Fred never did dig out his potatoes, which I believed - never found any of course even after carefully digging the lot  :wave:

Hope it is straightforward to clear.  How is the leg now?

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 19:29:28 »
The leg will never get better, It is up to me to contain it which is a bit of a nuisance. The valves that control the  the fluids were damaged with the severe celulitus I had.  Tight stockings, exercise, but not overdoing it is the remedy.  I had some special shoes made which helps. The most comfortable are my oversize steelcap gardening boots which my wife refuses to let me wear out as they have that Frankenstein look about them.

The plot was originally layed out with loads of paths and small beds, so I'll strim it first, then get the mattock out and get busy chopping the top off to make a pile to turn it into loam. Then out with the Asian hoe to turn it all over. Nothing on there except for loads of weeds, tufty grass and struggling raspberry canes. So I shall rasher the lot and restart from fresh. I can go for ages with the Asian hoe and mattock as it is upper body strength that works them, saving my legs the aggro.

I shall have plenty of produce to go around so the kids will be alright for fresh veg and a couple of old dears up the road will get a box of veg when it is spare. But I have been warned to stay away from the merry widow, I think the milkie has been trying his luck there. I hear him chinking by every morning for his daily 'cuppa'.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2015, 11:48:22 »
Ace, you've mentioned your Asian Hoe a couple of times, I think I know what you mean, but do you have a picture? I made the mistake of Googling the phrase...

Thanks,

Adrian
My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2015, 11:52:07 »
Ace, you've mentioned your Asian Hoe a couple of times, I think I know what you mean, but do you have a picture? I made the mistake of Googling the phrase...

Thanks,

Adrian

:laughing7: :angel12:

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 12:24:02 »
Yes, goodlife, that pretty much sums up my reaction too!

It certainly didn't look like gardening was what was on her mind, she wasn't even dressed for it.

Adrian

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2015, 12:30:46 »
Ace, sounds like you got it well under control, including the legs and how to pace yourself.  Is the Asian hoe a bit like an azada?  This is certainly a tool that is used (in preference to spades and forks) in southern European countries, but I am not sure it cultivates as deeply as a fork.

Guess you have quite sandy soil on IOW and that makes a difference too.  Good luck for your first season after a long break.

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 14:14:15 »
I have an Asian Hoe!!

Like this ...

One of the best and most versatile tools going..
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 17:02:12 »
That looks like a useful tool but needing a lot of energy to use it well.  I don't think my back or shoulders would like it.

I cheat and get OH to fork over the veggie beds between seasons and/or crops and then fork on lots of lovely home made compost so it's increasingly easy to work the soil.  Don't do digging any more unless it's a hole for a new fruit bush or a big new plant in the ornamental garden.
Obxx - Vendée France

gazza1960

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 18:12:42 »
I luv my Hoe like in the picky ...she does everything I ask of her,skims the surface tween the onion rows,digs deep if asked
and as long as I keep the edge honed shes keen to lop the heads off any unwanted weeds.

Gazza

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2015, 18:18:56 »
Yep. That's the tool. Cleared 35 square metres today in two one and a half hour stints. It scrapes the grass tussocks and weeds off the top. Dig a trench with a spade, and then with the hoe hooking and pulling it back into the trench about 8 or 9 inches at a time it is dug to a spit deep. I would not think it is a tool for the fairer sex as you need the muscles where you have dangly bits. The biggest mistake most people make is slugging away instead of getting the balance of it an letting the tool do the work.

The soil is a stony loam with clay about 18 inches down. All the sand over here is on the beach other parts of the island are a thin topsoil then chalk, fossils and big flints as far as you can dig down. Farmyard manure is plentiful, so instead of digging down you top up and avoid disturbing the clay or pick axing the chalk.

pumkinlover

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2015, 18:30:30 »
Yep. That's the tool. Cleared 35 square metres today in two one and a half hour stints. It scrapes the grass tussocks and weeds off the top. Dig a trench with a spade, and then with the hoe hooking and pulling it back into the trench about 8 or 9 inches at a time it is dug to a spit deep. I would not think it is a tool for the fairer sex as you need the muscles where you have dangly bits. The biggest mistake most people make is slugging away instead of getting the balance of it an letting the tool do the work.

The soil is a stony loam with clay about 18 inches down. All the sand over here is on the beach other parts of the island are a thin topsoil then chalk, fossils and big flints as far as you can dig down. Farmyard manure is plentiful, so instead of digging down you top up and avoid disturbing the clay or pick axing the chalk.

That excludes me then as I use mine a lot!!  :toothy10: :glasses9: :toothy10:

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2015, 21:22:10 »
I have a hoe like that and actually find it less effort than a spade.  It is amazing how quickly you can clear a square metre it just hacks through the weeds.   It is also great for earthing up potatoes.   Got mine from Amazon: Silverline digging hoe.  They are currently £12.35 which included postage, and since they weigh quite a lot I think that is a good price.

Use mine all the time.   Cleared a few square meters this morning, nettles, raspberries, dock, goose grass, dandelions, a few sweeps with the hoe and they are gone.  Will now dig it through pull out the roots and add manure and its ready to go with sweetcorn which is just showing on the windowsill.

Perhaps I am not fair enough!!!  :munky2:   Though I do have a bus pass!!!   

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2015, 12:53:57 »
. I would not think it is a tool for the fairer sex as you need the muscles where you have dangly bits.

I have one, and also a fork of the same shape and find them really useful, despite my lack of muscles in the right place! It's the action of putting it into the ground that requires (arm) muscle, but pushing it back is much easier than heaving a spade or normal fork out laoded with soil.

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2015, 13:39:31 »
Whoops! put my foot in it there, didn't I. What I meant was don't rush out and buy one if you are a big womens blouse. But it seems we have a race of Amazons posing as allotmenteers. I shall view the ladies at the lottie in a different light now. Ready to rise up brandishing hoes and take over from us annoying 'You don't want to do that' old boys.

Good on ya. I bet they are hidden in your skirts at committee meetings ready to back up your argument. Also handy for beating those 'no dig' rebels about their nether regions. Now when I use mine I will wear pink satin shorts and tell people I am getting in touch with my feminine side.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2015, 23:01:34 »
Thought it must be something like that. Spotted one of the neighbours with one this evening - if I see him again I'll have to ask for opinions.

Adrian

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2015, 12:41:33 »
Finished clearing this morning. Had a trial dig to see what the soil was going to be like. Beautiful, looks like it has been very well manured in the past. Fork slipped in a good spit, So I shall be out with the hoe again in the next few days, should be ready to use this time next week. It has been a mission to clear but it's done now, an extra bonus, lost half a stone in weight as well.

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2015, 14:16:39 »
I have an azada given to me by my daughter.  As long as you get the length of handle right for your height and get the balance right its weight does all the work for you - don't use any effort on the downswing just let it fall. No lifting of spadefuls of earth either. Great for tatties - trench dug and earthing up in about a quarter of the time.

ps female, retired and definitely no amazon.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal