Author Topic: Need advice re sweet potato slips  (Read 1838 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Need advice re sweet potato slips
« on: April 20, 2015, 22:32:43 »
They have sprouted but are growing very slowly and are still only about 1/2 inch long, no sign of any roots.   Cut the bottom off the potato and that slowed things down even more.  Leaves are red.  Seem to be either round or pointed leaves nothing like the pictures of sweet potatoes.

They look more like little cacti.

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
Re: Need advice re sweet potato slips
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 05:11:14 »
Sounds like they could be running out of get up and go to me Digeroo. If your soil is warm enough now may be put the potatoes in. Or pot them so you can get warmth by moving them around in the sun during the day and back inside at night. I am at the other end of the earth to you and sometimes mine don't move until well into November, that is the last month of spring. That is how my current crop was compared to usually 4-6 weeks earlier most other years. I usually plant the slips in October but mid to late November this season  and now I am harvesting 2-4 kgs per plant at the moment.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2015, 13:10:47 »
It is sitting on a very warm sunny windowsill.   Not sure what else I can do.  I suppose some foliar feed might be worth a try.  It is the first time I have actually managed to get one to sprout without rotting.  Rather expected it to take off.  Maybe there is still some residual growth inhibitor on it did scrub and scrub and scrub to get to off.

I am beginning to think I might bury it in compost and see if that helps.

jimc

• Quarter Acre
    • Jimc's Garden
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 04:48:33 »
Yes Digeroo, that is what I would be doing, put it in compost for those extra nutrients and hope it takes off. Certainly can't lose any thing now if it appears stalled.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal