Author Topic: Potato planting/progress  (Read 15221 times)

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
Potato planting/progress
« on: April 18, 2015, 08:22:46 »
Not as early as I'd have liked, but I'm I'm hoping to get my potatoes planted today  :icon_cheers: The ground is dug just needs a sprinkle of fertilizer, it is daft but I'm feeling quite excited about getting them in the ground!

How's everyone else doing?

Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

picman

• Acre
Re: Potato planting/progress
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 08:30:32 »
Me Dad said always plant potatoes on Good Friday... didn't manage it this year Saturday 4th  instead,( Charlotte and Picasso ) It was a full moon ! that's good ?

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 08:34:07 »
It's good they are in the ground, I'm never sure about the moon bit though. Hopefully someone who knows will be able to say.

http://www.gardeningbythemoon.com/phases.html

johhnyco15

• Hectare
  • clacton-on-sea
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 22:17:20 »
my rocket are just peeping there heads up earthed them up today  no sign of my sharpees express and i cant remember my other early having a Senior moment on that one lol
johhnyc015  may the plot be with you

George the Pigman

• Hectare
  • Birmingham, neutral clay soil
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 22:28:33 »
Intending to plant them next week. We can get frost in Birmingham as late as early May so I don't usually consider planting them until mid  to late April. I plant them all at the same time - first and second earlies and maincrops. I never bother digging a trench just use a trowel and plant them deep (Alan Titchmarsh's advice!). The earlies have a shorter time to maturity so they grow faster anyway until they reach their natural programmed die back time.
The thing about planting on Good Friday, according to Mr Medwyn, was to do with the fact that in the old days people worked Monday to Saturday and weren't, for religious reasons, allowed to do any heavy physical work on Sunday.  Hence Good Friday was the only day in Spring they could plant them. Good Friday can fall any time between March 22nd and April 25th which is a big range!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 22:33:50 by George the Pigman »

BarriedaleNick

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Cartaxo, Portugal
    • Barriedale Allotments
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2015, 22:43:58 »
I have had some earlies in buckets and tubs at home but I planted my main crop out today.  It seemed like a good day for it, warm with the soil still wet below the surface.  As you say - good to get them in the ground.
Moved to Portugal - ain't going back!

terrier

• Acre
  • North Wales
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2015, 01:42:05 »
My theory is to plant 3 weeks before the final frost date, so that when they push up above ground, they won't get their heads frosted off. As our last frost date is mid May, its a bit early yet. As the ground is cleared ready, I might just plant a row and keep my fingers crossed, or get the cloche  out. Mostly they've chitted fine but a few have grown really long shoots about 1' to 18" long, I was wondering if I broke the long shoots off, would they grow new shoots ? It would be a shame to waste them.

pumkinlover

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2015, 08:11:29 »
My theory is to plant 3 weeks before the final frost date, so that when they push up above ground, they won't get their heads frosted off. As our last frost date is mid May, its a bit early yet. As the ground is cleared ready, I might just plant a row and keep my fingers crossed, or get the cloche  out. Mostly they've chitted fine but a few have grown really long shoots about 1' to 18" long, I was wondering if I broke the long shoots off, would they grow new shoots ? It would be a shame to waste them.
I can't answer what would happen if you broke them off, as never done it. I think they have put a lot of energy into growing them so not sure if they have enough left? Were they in good light, that usually stops them growing so long.
Just an idea put what if you dug a trench and laid them sideways so shoots well protected- don't know!
George the pigman- I went to planting by trowel but found the crops lower, however weather patterns have changed at the same time so it might have been that.
Anyway back to trenching now  with lots of compost in the bottom!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2015, 15:22:29 »
I planted mine second week in March and tubs at home earlier, I've been earthing the lottie spuds this weekend and the others are 8/10 inches high. If frosts are forcast I'll throw a net on them, but frosts get more unpredictable every year, so hayho.     :toothy10:
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2015, 16:33:53 »
Planted mine last weekend (Charlotte and Kestrel).

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2015, 20:25:57 »
We can get June frosts in Birmingham. Mine are just beginning to come through. If they get frosted, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it as they'll have developed nice strong root systems, which they wouldn't have done if they hadn't been planted, and will bounce back in no time flat.

Silverleaf

• Hectare
  • Chesterfield, clay, acidic
    • The Rainbow Pea Project
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2015, 21:24:02 »
I remember an unexpected June frost a few years ago which pretty much destroyed the foliage of my by-then well grown potatoes. It went all dark and mushy and I thought they'd had it, to be honest.

Two weeks later they looked absolutely fine. The dead stuff dried and fell off, but new leaves and stems grew really quickly.

amphibian

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2015, 22:28:16 »
I put mine in on St Patricks day - no sign of them yet.

gray1720

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2015, 12:31:56 »
Mine went in yesterday - 21 tubers of various varieties, plus three Harlequin in a big pot for salad and four of last years Red Robin that chitted so strobly I figured I'd pop them in  the Poundland potato bags I was given. The latter may be a mistake - the bags are very wide and shallow (17" wide by 14" high), and the flaps for accessing your spuds don't hold the soil in very well, but it's done.

I chitted them in the porch this year, covering them at any sign of frost, and they've got much stronger shoots on than when I've done them in the hallway, which is probably too dark. This years shoots are short and dark, dark green... though for some reason the Romano are way behind all the rest despite being a second early.

Adrian

My garden is smaller than your Rome, but my pilum is harder than your sternum!

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 09:28:46 »
Ruddy fox has been running riot in the furrows!!!!!

I usually plant and hill them up all in one go, they seem to come through fine and keeps them protected from frost.

okra

• Hectare
  • Grow your own its much safer
    • Cyprus Gardener
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2015, 14:54:26 »
My maincrop went in yesterday Maris Piper, Picasso and King Edward but very dry and the sooner it pours the better
Grow your own its much safer - http://www.cyprusgardener.co.uk
http://cyprusgardener.blogspot.co.uk
Author of Olives, Lemons and Grapes (ISBN-13: 978-3841771131)

laurieuk

• Hectare
  • now retired
    • laurie mansers  garden hints
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2015, 15:44:09 »
I planted all mine a few weeks ago went I went to the allotment today,( We have been away for my 84th birthday) they are all showing apart from Cara. I plant leaving the soil flat so I have plenty to cover them with tomorrow.

artichoke

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2015, 18:39:03 »
I am still rather fascinated by Apache (red potatoes with white blotches). They store very badly, so now I know to eat them up first once they are lifted, but I have just planted 16 of the sprouting ones, and this time I will leave them in their patch until they have finished doing their thing. Last year this meant that as well as growing good-sized (medium) potatoes down below, they sent out a tangled network of shallower horizontal shoots with yet more baby potatoes at all the tips. I dug them up for the bigger potatoes, but this year I shall leave them and just see what on earth they do with the shallower shoots (which I will cover with compost).

I did ask last year if anyone had noticed this tangled network effect, but no reply. Anyone this year?

http://www.lovepotatoes.co.uk/potato-varieties/apache

LesH

• Half Acre
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2015, 21:03:25 »
 I planted my first early, Maris Bard, as well as second early, Kestrel on 21 st March. Today they are both about 10 centimeters high, but covered in fleece.

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2015, 08:10:07 »
I'm only growing 1st and 2nd earlies this year and I finished planting them few weeks ago. Yesterday I did see first show of tops through the soil  :icon_cheers: But...nights are still quite cold so all the rows had mulching of grass clippings and comfrey leaves.

My rows are still 'flat' as I try not to bury my plants too deep this year...it is so hard work to dig spuds from 'other side of the earth'.
I'm trying keep the tops safe from frost  for another few weeks by mulching with 'greens' and after that I shall pull some soil up, to  make shallow ridges around the tops..that's the 'final touch' and then my spuds (and weeds amongst them)can romp away as they please.
I really really looking forward for some new spud again ..YUM YUM...:icon_cheers:

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal