Author Topic: 6X fertiliser  (Read 4896 times)

ACE

• Hectare
6X fertiliser
« on: April 18, 2015, 08:07:26 »
The guy next to me grows for showing and his crops are way ahead of the rest of us. He keeps his methods a secret which is alright by me as I am not really interested in overlarge vegetables. But the other day he was spreading some compost stuff around his onions and I happen to notice he had a bag of manure in his car boot that was marked 6x.

I looked it up on line and found it to be a very expensive product which consists of sterilised concentrated manure.

Has anybody used it on here and what are the results in yield, taste etc. It can be spread very thinly so as a soil conditioner I would not expect much, but seeing his results makes me think it is a really good fertiliser just to spread a handful along a row or a small amount down each planting hole. He does not get the weeds I get from the stable manure I use.

I shall not get any this year as I have the alpaca dung to use as fertiliser, but just interested in other peoples experience with the stuff.

Redalder

• Half Acre
  • East Cornwall, mostly clay and stones.
Re: 6X fertiliser
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2015, 10:01:53 »
I use Marshall's organic extra, which is the same sort of thing, dried manure. It is expensive but a little goes along way, a couple of handfuls per square yard, and a sack lasts me several years. (Just looked it up on their website and there is a good offer on at the moment).

I am also a fan of rock dust having lived near the Seer Centre when they were developing and testing it and seen their results. In those days you could get large sack for £5 via a local quarry  but since the big players got a hold of it, it too is now quite expensive, but again a little goes a long way.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 10:04:30 by redalder »

Duke Ellington

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2015, 10:36:42 »
I love 6x. Especially when I didn't have a horse manure supply. I used it under my climbing beans, squashes etc. My climbing beans did really well and I never dug the traditional trench just a little bit of 6x in the planting hole. 😀 I thought it was mushroom compost based though  I could be wrong.
dont be fooled by the name I am a Lady!! :-*

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 10:57:39 »
I love 6x. Especially when I didn't have a horse manure supply. I used it under my climbing beans, squashes etc. My climbing beans did really well and I never dug the traditional trench just a little bit of 6x in the planting hole. 😀 I thought it was mushroom compost based though  I could be wrong.

20+ years ago I got a bag for my birthday which did well for a greenhouse full of tomatoes with some left over for the following year.  Mine had bits of feather in and was based on chicken waste.  But that was a long time ago and chicken pellets are easier to source.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2015, 17:49:57 »
No 6X here but I've been using pelleted chicken manure for years as a general fertiliser for the garden every spring and added to the veggie beds when planting new stuff or once direct sown seeds have germinated and started growing.  I also use it as a top dressing for hostas and lilies in pots.

Just chicken is quite high in nitrogen so, when I can, I buy mixed chicken, horse and cow which has a better balance but the pellets and garden compost are all my garden gets except for roses and clems which get extra treats.
Obxx - Vendée France

Uncle_Filthster

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 14:49:56 »
Great stuff and use it every year, it's a concentrated chicken manure.  You used to be able to get it quite cheaply from the manufacturer's website but now the postage on it kills you.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 15:59:08 »
I got some through Swindon Allotment Society.  They get a bulk delivery.   So it works out quite reasonable.

They also have something called Grow Organic, that is chicken po as well but it does smell.

Suggest you get a group together and order in bulk.

Brassicas seem to love it.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal