Author Topic: Upstairs downstairs!  (Read 1947 times)

caroline7758

• Hectare
  • Berwick-upon-Tweed
Upstairs downstairs!
« on: April 15, 2015, 10:16:03 »
I've put this in the Basics as it is pretty basic but I hadn't thought of it until this year. For the first time I've put tomato plants on an upstairs bedroom windowsill as well as in the kitchen (plus side of kids moving out!) and I've noticed the upstairs ones are far less leggy than downstairs, presumably because the light is better. I can hear you all saying "of course!" but thought I'd post in case anyone else has an used upstairs windowsill.  :happy7:

galina

• Hectare
  • Johanniskirchen
Re: Upstairs downstairs!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 16:09:37 »
Even better if you place the plants on the upstairs window sill on top of a few bricks (newspaper covered that they don't scratch the window sill) to have them a bit higher.  And put a reflective screen in front of them (between the window and the room on the other side of the plants).  This could be a mirror or foil covered cardboard or one of those things you can put behind radiators to reflect more heat into the room.  This gets direct light to the plants and reflected light as well.  Short of using grow lamps, this is the best prevention for leggy plants.  Given a choice, a south facing upstairs window sill is best.   :wave:

Jayb

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2015, 12:15:16 »
Your upstairs bedroom might be a little cooler than your kitchen too, which would also help keep them compact. I chit my potatoes in the upstairs bedroom window sill, they always do well there.
Seed Circle site http://seedsaverscircle.org/
My Blog, Mostly Tomato Mania http://mostlytomatomania.blogspot.co.uk/

ACE

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2015, 18:53:26 »
Yeh. put up the foil screens then sit back and wait for a battering ram on the front door and a visit from the drug squad.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal