Author Topic: Withdrawl symptoms  (Read 7495 times)

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Withdrawl symptoms
« on: April 13, 2015, 17:08:19 »
So the good news was that I got switched over to bt infinity at 8.45 this morning.  Wow that works fast. Five minutes later oh says no internet. Still not working.  Several frustrating calls to somewhere they think they are speaking English.  Actually whole area not working.  Not infinity just zero.  So that was a five minute wonder.  Can't people in call centres be taught to speak English.
Using my phone now.

rokerman1973

• Quarter Acre
Re: Withdrawl symptoms
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2015, 17:57:27 »
Oh the wonderful BT Indian branch call centre. I unfortunatley don't have Infinity yet but from the begginning of the year have had problems with my phone and broadband. Many calls to various people who had an English name but were in India. After 3 engineer visits was eventaully sorted. However went on holiday for 12 days and came back to a dead landline. So frustrating as my mother who is in her 80's and 350 mile away could not contact me or I her. BT are rubbish.

pumkinlover

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2015, 08:34:13 »
Plusnet.
Based in Sheffield.
(Not that I can understand a broad Sheffield accent!)

InfraDig

• Hectare
  • Rochester, Kent
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2015, 09:15:13 »
And owned by BT!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2015, 12:24:37 »
I was in the end transferred to technical help in Newcastle after a couple of bolshi Scots.
Now engineer coming Thursday.  I said I wanted to cancel infinity but that will take a week.
What a rubbish system they cut you off and will not turn up fort days to put it. back. Even offer to charge disconnection fee.  I seem to have proved that Infinity =zero

Yes I would change but I am addicted to FON.

If I could have plus net and FON then would go for it.

They keep telling me infinity is better. No internet does not seem an improvement to me
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 12:27:22 by Digeroo »

pumkinlover

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2015, 13:00:40 »
And owned by BT!
I know. Fingers crossed that they do not merge or whatever companies do!

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 18:09:29 »
Third day infinity still big zero.  Having to trawl the neighbourhood for hot spots with my phone

Still feel annoyed that they cut me off and then that three days to put it right
  I have been a BT customer for 43 years and had internet for ages.

Got to stay in all morning.  Probably only take 5 mins.

It only took five minutes to switch then only worked for five minutes.  I bet the wire fell out

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2015, 00:35:35 »
Not sure if my experience is relevant but here goes.
When I moved to a place with no cable broadband I didn't know what to do, having been used to cable TV and internet for ages. Everyone in the road said that the best solution was to get Sky for TV and broadband, and it would still be slow, and you just have to put up with it, it's a rural area etc etc, but it was a bit too dear for me.
The council said there were no plans to install cable broadband in my area in the forseeable future. Eventually I went with Talktalk.
For the first couple of months I had nothing but trouble, with the internet dropping out all the time and severe crackling on the phone line. The call centre was not in the UK and they kept asking me to do the same tests and check the same things again and again. I'm not very technical, and found it frustrating.
Eventually on one call to them, about six weeks into the problem, I told them very clearly that I was very sad indeed, and was crying. I really didn't know what else to say to them!
Oddly, this seemed to do the trick, they went into action.
They sent an engineer (BT) who changed all the wiring from the computer, through the loft and out to the point where it exits the house. The problem remained.
About a fortnight later, they arranged for BT to replace the wiring from the house to the telegraph pole, and they also replaced the wiring along the telegraph poles in the street (which is a short street of about 20 houses). Bingo. Perfect, no drop out of internet, everything is apparently faster, the phone doesn't crackle. My neighbours can't believe how good and cheap the package is compared to theirs
It must have cost a fortune, and I suspect that there must be miles of old BT cabling that needs replacing in many rural areas.

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2015, 18:26:22 »
Waited five hours.  No engineer.  Apparently a genuine mistake.  Barack to the end of the queue another three days. Still no broadband. The call handlers are so arrogant.
Since it is their mistake I expect them to expedite things but oh no I will have to wait.

pumkinlover

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2015, 07:31:32 »
Not like! :BangHead:

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2015, 15:38:54 »
Engineer finally turned up today.  Fixed the  problem before he arrived and then spent ages testing everything.   Just would have been better if the original switch over had been done correctly in the first place.  Surely they should ring to check it is ok and redo asap if they have made a mistake.

I understand mistakes happen but it has taken 10 grotty phone calls and two nice ones, a whole week without broadband and 5 hours waiting for a no show engineer, for something which actually was a five minute job. 

Pleased to say it was not my installation of the home hub which was at fault however much they were trying to say it was.

pumkinlover

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 07:42:43 »
Glad that you are sorted- sounds very frustrating!!
At least you know what you are doing even if the "professionals" don't!!

Bonsai Si

• Not So New ...
  • Life should be more like Bonsai...
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2015, 11:56:53 »
And owned by BT!
I know. Fingers crossed that they do not merge or whatever companies do!

Plusnet operate as an individual company from BT.

Though the first mile or so of all telephone/IT cabling from an exchange is owned by BT so no matter which company you go with you are still running through BT to some degree.

I used Plusnet for many years and found them to be a far better customer orientated ISP than the parent company and also cheaper.

I refuse to use BT as a main supplier due to their shoddy customer support, inflated prices and continual changes to services and pricing.

At my last home I eventually had to drop Plusnet as an ISP as their offer for Fibre (when I was fed up with Broadband) was insanely expensive compared to SKY, and as at the time we had a SKY TV package it made sense to consolidate all services into one package and we did save a small fortune at the time.  That said SKY did make a few screw ups with our package and billing, but the best thing about SKY is simply put; if they screw up, you complain long and hard enough and threaten to leave them and they offer you the world to make up for it and you can get great offers from them.

I recently moved into my new home and the SKY offers were not as good as TalkTalk, so i went with the cheaper option for now, but I think I just shot myself in the foot with respects getting Fibre as TalkTalk want a £50 upgrade fee to get back to Fibre.  :(  (I'll just wait it out till they offer a special to get more Fibre punters then upgrade or play SKY off against them for a sweet deal.)

Sadly no matter who you go with, the infrastructure in the UK for supplying the Internet is archaic and so far behind other countries (even those many of us would consider 3rd world countries!) getting a stable, fast and comparable to other nations is a long way off.  We were promised Broadband Britain long ago, we never got close to what was promised and even now the disparity between what we get and what is on offer in other countries is laughable. =/

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2015, 12:45:59 »
They have finally given me a £20 goodwill credit. 

At the same time they charged me £26.40 for a twenty minutes phone call. To start with they said I would have to pay because it was made from my phone, but I persisted.  Finally they admitted it was from BT customer services and they are going to credit it.  The cheek of the people.  I called a free number do not want a charge because they transferred me to Falkirk. 

alkanet

• Half Acre
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2015, 13:31:22 »
so when BT introduce their next "improved" package after Infinity, what will they call it??

Bonsai Si

• Not So New ...
  • Life should be more like Bonsai...
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2015, 13:46:21 »
"To your Wallet, Purse or Direct Debit we will plunder!"

Digeroo

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2015, 15:11:40 »
Another thing I would like is better phone coverage.  I keep driving out of range.  Last week it cut out just before the M4 M5 interchange.   And in the middle of Wiltshire/Gloucestershire there are miles of not spots.

4G for no extra cost might be a good offer, but could we have 3G. 

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal